Thursday 11 May 2017

Sugar Free Stewed Rhubarb and Ginger Compote

I love rhubarb season and having three mature rhubarb plants in the garden there is always plenty to go round. We always enjoy stewed rhubarb, it is such an easy way to use up a great harvest. But I am not keen on the amount of refined sugar that is used. Rhubarb has quite a bitter taste when it is cooked without the sugar. This got me thinking as to how I could stew rhubarb using only natural sweeteners. It took quite a few tastes, adding more ingredients but I finally got a balance between the sweet and sour flavours and have got a healthier stewed rhubarb.

This is what I did...

Sugar Free Stewed Rhubarb and Ginger Compte

Ingredients

450g rhubarb, sliced
2 oranges, juiced
1 1/2 tbsp pure set honey
1 tsp ginger puree

Method

1 - Place the rhubarb and orange juice in a pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat

2 - Once the rhubarb has reached boiling point reduce the heat to minimum, stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes

3 - Once all of the fruit has softened up and you have a compote consistency remove from the heat and stir in the ginger puree and honey


Once you have got the stewed rhubarb there are so many ways in which you can use it. We have been enjoying it with fat free Greek yogurt and grated dark chocolate with ginger.


I also have a baked treat planned so keep an eye out for that!

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


1 comment:

  1. I am envious of your rhubarb plants! We had some in the garden when I was growing up so we always ate loads of it at this time of year. I also tend to just stew it and will have to try it like this next time as I'm sure the ginger goes really well with it and I love the fact it's lower in sugar than traditional stewed rhubarb. Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x