Friday 19 May 2017

Rhubarb and Ginger Cake with Kenwood kMix

If you follow Hijacked By Twins on Instagram you may have seen that I have got a new piece of kitchen equipment. If not, let me show you my new toy...


When I received an email a few weeks ago from Kenwood asking me if I would like to try out their legendary kMix stand mixer to say that I was excited is an understatement. I love to bake and already had a Kenwood Prospero machine which was a fantastic addition to the kitchen but as soon as I saw the kMix I knew that it was going to be even better. Since my childhood Kenwood food mixers have been a part of everyday kitchen equipment. My mum and grandmother had them when I was growing up so I always knew that I would have one too.

Kenwood have a stylish kMix range of kitchen products that come in a variety of colours so you know that they are going to fit right in. When I unpacked the kMix the first thing that I noticed was the slim design. Having a kitchen with limited worktop space, with the Prospero I did struggle and had to keep the mixer in the cupboard. But with the kMix's compact design I am able to keep it out on the worktop without losing valuable room. The first time that I used the mixer I was amazed by how powerful the motor is but also how quiet it is. This is a mixer that can be used without disturbing the peace. Another feature that I love about the kMix is the huge glass mixing bowl. The large bowl means that you can prepare even more, it really does give this machine the added edge, plus watching the ingredients come together is so therapeutic! So far I have been nothing but impressed with the design, quality and standard of this food mixer and I am looking forward to sharing with you a series of recipe posts that demonstrate how truly versatile and invaluable this item is!

For my first kMix recipe I am going to share with you a deliciously gooey rhubarb and ginger cake. This cake is, what I like to call, a multi functional cake. It can be eaten as a cake for afternoon tea, eaten warm and served with custard as a pudding or served cold with Greek yogurt as a lovely summers dessert. I have based this cake on the wonderful Mary Berry's Ginger and Treacle Spiced Traybake but have transformed it into a cake with added flavours!

This is what I did...


Rhubarb and Ginger Cake

Ingredients

Cake

225g butter
175g light muscovado sugar
200g black treacle
300g self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
4 eggs
60 mls milk
2 tsp ginger puree

Topping

200g fresh rhubarb, chopped
1 tsp ginger puree
2 tbsp honey
Juice of 1 orange

Method

1 - Pre heat the oven to 160C

2 - Place all of the cake ingredients into the kMix bowl and mix together on a medium to high speed

3 - Once all of the ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together and you have a smooth cake batter stop the kMix and remove the bowl from the stand

4 - Line and grease a square an 8" loose bottomed square cake tin and tip in the cake mixture

5 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until thoroughly baked

6 - While the cake is baking place the orange juice, and rhubarb in a pan and gently bring to the boil

7 - Once the rhubarb has reached boiling point reduce the heat, add the honey and ginger puree and leave to simmer for 10 minutes

8 - Once the cake is thoroughly baked remove from the oven and using a knife make slits all the way through the cake in the tin

9 - Keeping the cake in the tin spoon over the stewed rhubarb and evenly spread over the cake, the slits will allow the cake to absorb some of the rhubarb juices

10 - Allow the cake to cool in the tin before removing and slicing


This is such an irresistibly gooey cake that is so full of flavour. One piece is simply not enough!


This classic flavour combination is the perfect cake for rhubarb season and the Kenwood kMix makes is so easy to make. All you need to do is add the ingredients and let the stand mixer do the hard work!


The next recipe in my kMix series is going to be a bread recipe. I am going to enjoy putting the kMix through its paces with the dough hook!

Do you have a Kenwood mixer? What is your favourite thing to bake?

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post


Hijacked By Twins
Casa Costello

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I could be persuaded to divorce my KitchenAid, but your cake looks divine. So squidgy and sticky! My sort of cake xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, let me take a moment to appreciate your new Kenwood mixer - wow! Love it, the glass mixing bowl is gorgeous :)
    Secondly, look at how moist your cake looks! Very yummy looking and I love the colour of it too. Rhubarb and ginger work so well together too
    Thanks for linking up to #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, your new kMix looks so stylish. I've had mine for quite a few years now, and I absolutely love it. Although I don't have a glass bowl, maybe I might have to get one. Your Rhubarb and Ginger cake really does look yummy. :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x