Friday 5 May 2017

Quick and Easy Warm Rice and Quinoa Salad

When it comes to lunch time, I want something that is healthy, something that I can prepare quickly and easily. If it is not quick and easy I tend to go for a sandwich. I love salads but after a few they can get boring. So to make them a bit more exciting I have been trying some new ways to enjoy a salad. You can expect to see some new salad recipes over the next few months!

My first new salad recipe is a salad that is so full of flavours, health benefits and quick to prepare. To make it quick and easy to prepare I have used a pouch packet of Tilda brown basmati rice with quinoa, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I am a huge fan of the easy rice pouches but love that this one has the added grains and seeds. When I saw it on a recent shopping trip I knew that it would make a delicious addition to a salad.

This is what I did...

Warm Rice and Quinoa Salad

Ingredients - Serves 2

1 pouch of Tilda Quinoa, Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds Brown Basmati Rice
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 avocado, stone removed and flesh scooped out and chopped
6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
2 handfuls of spinach
100g feta cheese, cut into squares
Almonds, roughly chopped to garnish
Pumpkin seeds

Method

1 - Cook the rice pouch as per instructions on the packet and once it has been cooked tip the contents into a large mixing bowl

2 - In a separate bowl mix together the chopped pepper, avocado, cherry tomatoes and spinach ensure all of the ingredients are evenly combined and add to the rice mixture

3 - Mix the vegetables with the rice, I found it easier to do this with my hands

4 - Add the feta cheese squares, mix and spoon into two bowls

5 - Take the chopped almonds and pumpkin seeds and scatter over the top, you can add as many as you desire!


This salad is not only quick, easy and delicious but is also full of health benefits. Check out this list for more reasons to have this meal:
  • Quinoa - Complete protein
  • Brown Rice - High in fibre and rich in anti-oxidants
  • Avocado - High in healthy fats
  • Pumpkin seeds - Contain a wide variety of nutrients
  • Spinach - High in protein, fibre, vitamins A, C, E and K, folate, iron, magnesium, the list goes on!
  • Yellow peppers - Good source of vitamin C
  • Tomatoes - High in vitamin C
  • Almonds - Contain healthy fats, fibre and protein

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I have been looking for something new for my lunches and I think this might be it. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super healthy salad, and the ingredients make a delicious combination too! This is definitely my kind of salad. Pinning for later:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so tasty Kirsty and I love how easy and quick it is to make too x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x