Tuesday 5 May 2015

Plum Swirl Cake

I recently found a jar of plum jam that needed using. We are not big jam eaters, I tend to buy jam when I need it for a bake or pudding. So when I found a jar it got me thinking about a different way to use it.

That is how I created this recipe. Not only is it a great way to use up any leftover jam, but also a great way to revamp a classic Victoria sponge.

This is what I did...



Plum Swirl Cake

Ingredients

200g self raising flour
200g baking spread
200g golden caster sugar
4 eggs
1/2tsp vanilla paste
4tbsp good quality plum jam

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Mix together the baking spread and golden caster sugar until light and creamy

2 - Gradually add the eggs one at a time, along with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Mix in the remaining flour until you have a smooth mixture

4 - Mix in the vanilla paste and pour the mixture into two prepared sandwich cake tins

5 - Stir two tablespoons of the jam in a bowl to loosen the consistency

6 - Pour over the tops of the cake mixtures and using a fork create swirls of jam through the batter

7 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 30 - 40 minutes or until thoroughly baked

8 - Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before removing and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack

9 - Stir the remaining jam in a bowl as before

10 - Once the cakes are completely cooled spread the jam on the bottom cake and top with the remaining sponge and serve


This is a lovely vanilla sponge that has hints of plum coming through as you bite through one of the swirls. It really is a great way to use up jam and add something special to a classic cake.


I have used plum jam in this recipe as it is what I had to hand but any jam can be used according to taste.


Enjoy x

Sharing with Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesdays and Casa Costello - Bake of the Week.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Casa Costello

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, and definitely a good way to add a bit of flavour as well as use up the final bit of jam.

    I reckon the fancy swirl would stop the OH from moaning that there's no icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO matter how old I get, there's still something magical about a swirl! Thanks loads for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, this is torture as I get back to healthy eating after too much sugar lately. Licking the screen. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the swirly top! Brilliant take on fancying up a Victoria Sponge. Thanks again for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x