Tuesday 19 May 2015

Rhubarb Sponge Pudding

What better way to use rhubarb than in a pudding. It goes perfectly in a warm pudding that can be served with custard!

This recipe idea came from my Spiced Apple Pudding. I find that fruit and sponge are a perfect way to have the best of both worlds It pleases people that want pudding while pleasing the cake lovers too! This recipe is a fantastic way to use any fruit that is in season.

In this recipe I am using freshly harvested rhubarb from the garden. I have stewed the rhubarb as per my basic Stewed Rhubarb recipe.

This is what I did...

Rhubarb Sponge Pudding

Ingredients

500g Stewed rhubarb
100g butter
100g golden caster sugar
100g self raising flour
2 eggs
1/2tsp vanilla paste

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Beat together the butter and caster sugar until light and creamy

2 - Gradually add the eggs along with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Mix in the remaining flour and vanilla paste until you have a smooth mixture

4 - Place the stewed rhubarb into a medium pie dish

5 - Spoon the cake mixture over the stewed rhubarb and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the sponge is thoroughly baked



Serve immediately with custard, cream, ice cream or even on its own.



Enjoy x


love seasonal food link up
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

6 comments:

  1. Great use for rhubarb and my hubby would love to have this with lashings of custard. Looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly the sort of pudding I could do with having right now! It's currently raining and I feel a little chilly and need of some comfort food. I think for this I would like lashings of double cream. That sponges looks lovely and light too. Thanks for linking up to my Rhubarb #loveseasonalfood linky. I think I'm going to have to grow more rhubarb now as there are so many great recipes.

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Grow your own veg and bake it! I love your pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pudding,
    I am celebrating my First Blog Anniversary-http://herbsspicesandtradition.blogspot.ca/2015/05/my-first-blog-anniversary-event.html
    There is a event and a give away. Please join, it is open for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sponge puddings and it is really cold here so I would love to have a serve of this - with custard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a sponge pudding - it reminds me of the type of desserts my mum used to make. We had puddings a few times a week when I was a child but my children are lucky if they get one when they're out! It's so easy so I know I should give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x