Thursday 7 May 2015

Stewed Homegrown Rhubarb

We have been delighted to see that our rhubarb has returned in the garden and it is already big! It seems to have shot up over the last two weeks. I can see us having a lot of rhubarb over the next few months.

Rhubarb is a lovely versatile vegetable, yes it is a vegetable, until recently I thought that it was a fruit. Rhubarb can be used in a variety of desserts from crumbles to pies, from cakes to jams. With it returning to the garden so early it is always one of the first things that we get to harvest.


This is the second harvest that we have had so far this year. Last time I made a rhubarb and strawberry crumble which unfortunately did not last long enough for me to take a picture, so this will be a recipe that I will be sharing in the future.

Today I thought that I would share with you the base of all my rhubarb recipes.

My Stewed Rhubarb.

With the stewed rhubarb you can use it is a variety of recipes. I have got a few rhubarb based recipes planned and I will be referring back to this recipe.
This is how I make it...

Stewed Rhubarb

Ingredients

1kg fresh rhubarb, chopped
100g golden caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, sliced in half to expose seeds
1tsp ground cinnamon
30mls water

Method

1 - Place the chopped rhubarb, golden caster sugar, vanilla pod, cinnamon and water in a large pan and bring to the boil over a high heat

2 - Once it has reached boiling point reduce to a low heat and simmer for 10 minutes

It is that simple. With the stewed rhubarb you have the basis for so many delicious sweet treats.


Enjoy x

love seasonal food link up

1 comment:

  1. I've only just discovered Rhubarb is a vegetable! After all these years eating, growing and cooking with it! Ahh you can't beat stewed rhubarb. I love it with a cinnamon oaty mix and yogurt or double cream. I haven't used vanilla before with it but I bet that adds beautifully to it. Will have to try. Thanks for joining in with #loveseasonalfood and all the Rhubarb love. Really hope to see you again. Clare xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x