Friday 29 April 2016

Banana, Cinnamon and Peanut Cake

I first told you about my new favourite combination when I shared my Full of Energy Porridge. Ever since trying banana, cinnamon and peanut I have loved the combination and have been thinking of other ways to enjoy it. What better way than in a cake!

This cake is two layers of moist banana cake with a slight crunch from the peanuts, sandwiched together with a banana butter icing and topped with melted dark chocolate. If you love bananas, you will love this cake.

This is what I did...

Banana, Cinnamon and Peanut Cake

Ingredients

Cake

200g self raising flour
200g caster sugar
200g baking spread
4 eggs
2 lg ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp natural crunchy peanut butter

Banana Butter Icing

25g soft butter
50g icing sugar
1 lg ripe banana, mashed

Topping

100g dark chocolate 85% cocoa

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan/190C/Gas Mark 5/375F

1 - Mix together the butter and sugar until light and creamy

2 - Add the eggs, one at a time, with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Spoon in the remaining flour and cinnamon, mix until the cake batter is nice and smooth

4 - Fold in the mashed bananas and the peanut butter

5 - Divide the mixture between two lined and greased sandwich tins and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20 minutes

6 - Once thoroughly baked remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling

7 - Once the cakes are completely cool prepare the banana frosting my mixing together the soft butter and icing sugar until you have a smooth butter icing

8 - Stir in the mashed banana and spread on the top of the base cake, spread it nice and thick, you want the sweet banana icing to ooze out!

9 - Place the second cake on top

10 - Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water

11 - Once melted pour the chocolate into a disposable icing bag

12 - Cut the point and drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the cake


This cake is delicious to eat whilst the chocolate is still warm. But it is just as good once the chocolate has set. This is such a gooey cake and you will need a fork to eat it. Serve on its own or with a scoop of ice cream or some cream poured over the top.


Enjoy x


Casa Costello
CookBlogShare
Link up your recipe of the week

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! If possible, it's sounds even better than it looks! My boys wouldn't eat this, I'm gutted xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! If possible, it's sounds even better than it looks! My boys wouldn't eat this, I'm gutted xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful flavour combination - love chocolate banana and peanut too sounds even better! Thanks for joining in with #BAKEoftheWEEK !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds heavenly! I would be danger of eating the whole lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that peanuts add a brilliant texture in baking. Like a surprise little crunch! Thanks for joining in with #bakeoftheweek once again - I'm delighted that you have found a way of incorporating your new favourite flavour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness this looks so good! I'll have to use wow butter to make it safe for little dude, can't wait to try it! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks sooooooo good. Have pinned it for later!! Mmmmm xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good Kirsty, I have a list of bake ideas and one of them is to incorporate peanuts into the mix so I was really interested to read this. Love the finish you've achieved on top of the cake too with the chocolate.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooohhh this sounds delicious, and looks great too, may just have to go and do a spot of baking.....well I bought peanut butter for the granddaughter being here and she has not used it so will need to use it for something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness this is genius! Great idea to pimp up a regular banana cake! Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare........Sorry I'm late :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x