Friday 5 August 2016

Back to School with Added Vitamins

In a few weeks the kids will be going back to school and we all know that when the kids return to school the germs return too. So keeping the whole family healthy is paramount! This can be done by eating a good, balanced, healthy diet, but sometimes we all need some extra help. That is where vitamin supplements comes in! Today I am going to tell you a bit about Emergen-C as well as a delicious way to bake with it! I will be sharing my recipe for my super good for you Orange and Lemon Emergen-C Cupcakes!


Emergen-C is packed with B vitamins, antioxidants, electrolytes and more vitamin C than 10 oranges!*

But what do they do? Well, let me tell you...
  • Antioxidants protect our cells from the effects of free radicals
  • Vitamin C helps to promote a healthy immune system and fight off the bugs
  • Zinc also helps the immune system by helping to maintain white blood cell activity
  • Manganese is needed for healthy skin, bones and cartilage formation
  • B1 Thiamin is vital for a healthy metabolism and it helps maintain a healthy nervous system
  • B2 Riboflavin plays a vital part in breaking down carbohydrates, proteins and fats into energy
  • B3 Niacin is part of the co enzymes that produce energy
  • Vitamin B6 is a vitamin that the body cannot make. It helps to form energy rich compounds and niacin, red blood cells and fat metabolism
  • B9 Folic Acid helps to maintain healthy levels of homocysteine, an amino acid in the blood
  • Vitamin B12 helps to metabolise food for energy and making red blood cells. It is the red blood cells that carry oxygen and may help to promote your energy levels
  • B5 Pantothenic Acid is another essential nutrient that helps to generate energy from carbohydrates, proteins and fats
As well as the Emergen-C pictured above they also do an Emergen-C Kidz range which are for children aged 4 to 13 years old and come in three fruity flavours, fruit punch, orange and grape. So when they return to school you can give the whole family a boost of goodness in one simple drink! What a way to start the day!

Now onto a yummy way to get some goodness into your body. My Orange and Lemon Emergen-C Cupcakes. This is what I did...


Orange and Lemon Emergen-C Cupcakes

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup/175g flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup/150g caster sugar
3/4 cup/150g coconut oil
3 eggs
Juice of half a lemon
Juice of half an orange
1 sachet of Emergen-C orange, if baking for children aged 4 - 13 use Emergen-C Kidz range

Method

Pre heat the oven to 356F/180C

1 - Place the coconut oil and sugar in a bowl and mix together

2 - Add the eggs, one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Mix in the remaining flour and the sachet of Emergen-C

4 - Finally fold in the lemon and orange juice

5 - Divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cases and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20 minutes

6 - Once thoroughly baked remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before enjoying


When I was planning this bake I was going to add a topping of frosting but when I tasted the cakes I realised that they tasted perfect just as they are. But you could add frosting to your cakes and add some more Emergen-C!



Here is to a happy, healthy and successful year kids!

7 comments:

  1. We've just had some summer holiday breakup germs, so keen to avoid back to school ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never have thought to do this before. What a great idea. Fab way to boost their immune system xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought them in the hope the kids would take their vitamins - hiding it in cakes is a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a clever idea. Think I'll have to have a go at these myself with my eldest starting school in September x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of these before. I'm a bit slack though and N's usually pretty healthy, so fingers crossed he stays like that

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cupcakes look delicious and emergen-c sounds fab for making sure the kids get everything they need x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo I think I will have to make these - sound fab x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x