Thursday 11 August 2016

Green Veg and Mint Risotto

Risotto is a great meal to sneak some extra vegetables into the kids. Today's recipe is easier and quicker than a traditionally cooked risotto. It requires a lot less attention and is perfect for when the kids are off school and we have less time for cooking.

This recipe focuses on green vegetables and is full of the flavours of summer. This is what I did...

Green Veg and Mint Risotto

Ingredients


350g long grain rice
150g frozen petit pois
100g frozen edamame beans
100g shredded Savoy cabbage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
200g broccoli, cut into small florets
5g fresh mint, chopped
180g tub of reduced fat cream cheese
2tsp olive oil

Method


1 - Bring a large pan of water to the boil

2 - Place the rice, petit pois, edamame beans, cabbage, broccoli and mint in the pan, bring to the boil and reduce the heat

3 - Simmer the rice and vegetables for 15 minutes

4 - Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions and celery until soft

5 - Add the cream cheese to the frying pan and stir until thoroughly melted into a creamy sauce

6 - Drain the rice and vegetables and return to the pan

7 - Stir in the creamy cheese sauce, onions and celery into the rice and vegetables


Serve with a little mint garnish.

This meal is so light and fresh. It really is perfect for a summer al fresco meal. There was enough for the five of us plus extra for the following days lunch!

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

I am sharing my recipe with The Food Calendar on Charlotte's Lively Kitchen for National Allotments Week as the mint was grown in our veggie patch plus if you have fresh peas they can be used instead of frozen ones!

Charlotte's Lively Kitchen - #TheFoodCalendar

Also sharing with...

Cook Once Eat Twice
CookBlogShare

6 comments:

  1. This looks so fresh and so easy as well! IT would be a great meal to cook when the fridge is almost bare too as a lot of the vegetables are frozen. Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its the summer, but this reminds me of Spring, so fresh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love risotto and I love how you've simplified this to make it a bit healthier and easier. Definitely one to try. #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I do love risotto and it works so well with green veg! I love your idea of adding mint too :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious Kirsty and so summery. I hope you're enjoying your holiday, it looks as though you've been having an amazing time so far from what I've seen on Facebook xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x