Tuesday 2 August 2016

Supporting Team GB at Rio with Aldi

In a matter of days the 2016 Rio Olympics will begin and we will all be cheering for our national teams. Whether you are Team GB, Team USA or Team France, people all over the globe will be cheering on the pride athletes of their countries!


This year Aldi are proud to be the official Team GB supermarket sponsors and have asked me to share with you three deliciously nutritious recipes that have been working on in collaboration with the English Institute of Sport. The recipes are not just tasty but also have many benefits for athletes. Over the next three weeks I will be recreating the recipes myself and telling you all about how I got on and most importantly what we thought of the dish!

This week I am starting with Chilli Shredded Turkey Burger with healthy slaw and sweet potato wedges.

This is how I got on and what I did...

Chilli Turkey Burger with healthy slaw and sweet potato wedges

Ingredients

1kg Sweet potato, raw, flesh only
2 lg Carrots, grated
6 Wholemeal bread rolls
1 lg Onions, thinly sliced (I used a red onion)
1/4 Savoy cabbage
125mls Water
1/2 Red onions, finely sliced
100g 0% Plain Greek, yogurt
1 Apple, cored and grated
2 tbsp Tomato relish
Balsamic Vinegar 3tbsp (burger) 2tsp (slaw)
3 tbsp Olive oil
!/2 Lemon juiced
1 tbsp Unsalted butter
1 Green chilli pepper, finely chopped (I did not add as the children do not like chilli's)
1 Red chilli pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Sea salt (I used a Smoked Sea Salt that I found in Aldi)
1/4 tsp Black pepper
Gherkins, pickled, drained (optional) 

Method

Pre heat the oven to 200C

1 - Wash the sweet potatoes and cut them into wedges

2 - Lay the wedges out on a non stick baking tray, drizzle over some olive oil and season


3 - Place in the pre heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, turning half way through

4 - Place the shredded cabbage, carrots, onion and apple in a large mixing bowl


5 - To make the slaw dressing simply mix together the Greek yogurt with the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and seasoning. If you gradually add the balsamic vinegar and lemon juice you can adjust the quantities to taste

6 - Pour the dressing into the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly, keep in the fridge until you are ready to use it



7 - Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the turkey steaks for about 10 minutes turning regularly


8 - Once the turkey steaks are thoroughly cooked remove from the pan and place on a chopping board and shred using two forks. Once shredded place in a bowl until needed

9 - Melt the butter in the pan where you cooked the turkey steaks and gently fry the onions and chilli if using until soft

10 - Add the shredded turkey to the pan and season. I also added some balsamic vinegar to the turkey as I did not use chilli's

11 - I served our meal in slices of rye bread and added a base layer or the slaw topped with the shredded turkey and gherkins. Also add the tomato relish if using then serve with an extra serving of slaw and sweet potato wedges


The combination of the turkey with the slaw and gherkins made a delicious meal and one I will definitely be making again. The recipe provided 3 adult sized portions and 2 children's small portions plus enough for lunch the next day!

Georgina Impson Davey from the English Institute of Sport, who created the dish tells us why this meal is so good for you and perfect for athletes...

"This meal is perfect for recovery after a training session or event. Using turkey as a source of protein is a great alternative to chicken as its very lean. The healthy slaw is full of immune boosting vitamins, and when it comes to the sweet potato wedges- the bigger the better as this will reduce the amount of oil absorption during cooking."

Next week I am going to share a great, homemade alternative to shop bought oat bars so keep an eye out for that. If you would like some more Rio inspiration then pop over to Aldi's website and check out their medal winning recipes!

Enjoy x
CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

9 comments:

  1. mmmmm apart from the gherkins looks delicious!
    The slaw looks good to is it as good a slaw made with mayo? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm supporting team GB - we did brilliant last time so let see we can do it again. xx

    www.annanuttall.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, I think the kids would really like this one too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm soon excited about the Olympics, I'm pretty much going to spend the whole two weeks glued to the TV (fortunately the time difference means I might just about be able to get some work done in the mornings).

    This sounds delicious, I really like gherkins and rarely see recipes with them so I'm sure I'd enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Team GB........cannot wait for it to start

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a healthy and tasty sounding meal Kirsty x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids would love the burger part, not so sure about the slaw but you never know! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had my lunch and I am still salivating just looking at that meal, the turkey looks yummy big time

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so nice, I've never thought of making turkey burgers before

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x