Thursday 1 December 2016

Leftover Christmas Dinner Soup and Lots of Christmas Inspiration!

๐…˜๐…ฅ๐…ฎ It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ๐…˜๐…ฅ๐…ฎ

Yes, December is here and all of our focus is now on Christmas! I am planning meals, we are planning shopping trips and we are all planning our decorations. When it comes to Christmas food I always do a traditional turkey, that is a must. But I also love to plan what we will be having after Christmas day and how I will be using up any leftovers from Christmas dinner.


As much as I love Christmas dinner I always enjoy the leftovers the following day. There are so many ways for you to revamp leftover to create a whole new meal. But one of my favourite leftover meals has to be a good, warming soup. A couple of weeks ago I shared with you a post all about a fantastic five bird roast that is perfect for Christmas dinner. I purposely cooked extra vegetables just for the leftovers!



Today I am sharing with you my warming leftover Christmas dinner soup and giving you some delicious soup topper ideas.

This is what I did...



Leftover Christmas Dinner Soup

Ingredients

Leftover vegetables - I used potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts
Any leftover meat and or stunning
750mls chicken or turkey stock
Salt and pepper to season

Method

1 - Place all of your cooked, leftover vegetables in a pan and cover with the stock

2 - Bring the stock and vegetables to the boil and leave to simmer for 15 minutes

3 - Leave to cool a little before blending up into a smooth soup

The soup toppers is where you get to really make this a special soup. My favourite is to use both pieces of meat and stuffing balls.

4 - To make the toppings chop up a few slices of leftover meat and two stuffing balls

5 - Heat a little spray oil in a frying pan and add the chopped meat and stuffing

6 - Fry over a medium heat until browned off and starting to crisp up

7 - Spoon the soup into bowls and scatter over a generous serving of the meat and stuffing topping


This soup is the perfect lunch or tea to enjoy on Boxing Day. Coming home after a brisk, cold walk to a bowl of this warming comfort food is my idea of bliss! Spending time with loved ones and enjoying good food, what more could we want!


I am not the only one who is getting festive, many of my blogger friends are too. Check out these posts...

  • Stephanie at Life at 139a has some some Christmas crafts, find out how (and why) to bleach pine cones, how to make a Christmas wreath and inspiration for some gorgeous gift tags.
Photograph courtesy of Catherine from Growing Family


  • Catherine at Growing Family is sharing her tips for bringing the outside indoors this Christmas. Find out how to make easy pine cone tree decorations, how to use Spring flowering bulbs to create lovely homemade gifts, and how to choose the perfect real Christmas tree.
Photograph courtesy of Caro from The Twinkle Diaries

Photograph courtesy of Morgan from Morgan's Milieu

  • After inviting family for Christmas Lunch, Morgan at Morgan's Milieu shares her tips and advice for planning Christmas Lunch for a large number of guests.
Photograph courtesy of Nicky from Not Just the 3 of Us

  • Jingle Bells, Christmas smells - it really does.  Nicky at Not Just the 3 of Us is talking about the memories and smells that Christmas decorations evoke.
Photograph courtesy of Nell from Pigeon Pair and Me

  • If you're anywhere near the UK capital this Winter, Nell from the Pigeon Pair and Me tells you how to enjoy the festive fun of London - for free. She also gives her top picks of Winter family shows, and explains why Christmas with kids is a magical time of the year.
Photograph courtesy of Jane from Maflingo

  • Jane at Maflingo has great ideas for festive treats to make with the kids this Christmas. Find out how to make Santa Fruit Skewers and Festive Chocolate Pretzels.
Photograph courtesy of Jocelyn from The Reading Residence

  • Jocelyn at The Reading Residence is sharing some fun and easy Christmas crafts for children. Find out how to create a Christmas centrepiece, a festive arty keepsake and make kids place mats.
Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


CookBlogShare

19 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a good idea Kirsty!! I love Christmas dinner — although ours usually gets made into curry or sandwiches (the meat) and bubble and squeak (with the veg) served with a side of bacon. It's so versatile, isn't it? I'll definitely be trying this out this year — thanks for sharing! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I love leftover curry too, and sandwiches, ok I just love leftovers! xx

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea - our leftovers always get turned into elaborate sandwiches or bubble & squeak like Caro, but I love the idea of having a big pot of hearty soup ready for lazy meals. Definitely going to make it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soups are a great warming dish but oooh bubble and squeak, love it x

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! The toppers definitely makes it that bit special and what a fab and simple way to use everything up. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup sounds like an ideal way of using Christmas dinner leftovers. I must remember to make it with mine:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to make extra just so I have enough leftovers for the following day x

      Delete
  5. Yum! This looks amazing. It tricky to know what to do with all those leftovers, so your recipe's v. useful x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds and looks delicious. In fact, I feel like I can also smell it. I just love leftovers, cold, hot, with mayo and well just all mixed up. Boxing Day food is my fave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicky. I love just picking at leftovers on Boxing Day x

      Delete
  7. Kirsty, this soup looks delicious. I love the idea of making a soup rather than having Christmas Dinner Mk2! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't face a second Christmas dinner on Boxing Day so this is a welcomed lighter meal x

      Delete
  8. A lovely way to use up the leftovers - your soup sounds so delicious and wonderfully easy. Perfect for Boxing Day!! Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eb, soup is always a great way to use up leftovers x

      Delete
  9. I love the leftovers too - usually there's a curry in there somewhere but also liking the idea of a soup, will make a great lunch to take to work too. Leftovers rock, and so do recipes like this x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always a fun challenge working out what to do with Christmas dinner leftovers! Last year I invented the Christmas Dinner Quiche, which I subsequently blogged as the slightly more generic Roast Dinner Quiche.... so good!!! Maybe I'll get round to putting the Christmas version on the blog this year....
    Soup is a lovely idea though and always fantastic in winter xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh this sounds tasty! As we're having 18 people over for Christmas Lunch I don't think there'll be any leftovers but I'm keeping this in mind for future! Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x