Thursday 5 January 2017

Naked Coleslaw - Low FODMAP and Syn Free

For the next few weeks we are following the FODMAP eating plan.

For years the hubby has suffered from digestive discomfort and one day while he was looking on the internet he discovered the FODMAP plan. FODMAP stands for Fermantable Oligo-saccharides Di-saccharides Mono-saccharides and Polyols, otherwise known as FODMAP's. FODMAP's are carbohydrates that can be hard to digest and cause digestive discomfort and eliminating foods which contain these carbohydrates can ease symptoms such as bloating, abdominal pain, gases and bowel problems. They are found in various fruits, vegetables, dairy and many other foods. After doing my own research and visiting various different websites I now have a list of FODMAP foods. The list is divided into two sections, high 'red' FODMAP foods, which I need to avoid in the hubby's meals and low 'green' FODMAP foods which he can eat.

This has meant that my meal plans need to be planned more carefully. Now when I write my weekly meal plan I am carefully looking at the ingredients that are needed for each individual meal and adapting them accordingly.

When I was planning this weeks meals I found a recipe in the Slimming World magazine that I knew everyone would love, but it was served with a homemade coleslaw which contained many high FODMAP ingredients. This got me thinking how I could make a coleslaw type salad that is both syn free for me and, of course, low FODMAP for the hubby. What I created was a huge success and is now a firm favourite.

This is what I did...

Naked Coleslaw - Low FODMAP and Syn Free

Ingredients

4 sprigs of kale, stalk removed and chopped
1 carrot, grated
4 lg radish, grated
6 spring onions, green part only, the white part contains a high level of FODMAP's, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
50g cucumber, grated
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

Method

1 - All of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl

2 - Pour over the apple cider vinegar and mix thoroughly

3 - Gently rub the chopped kale to ensure it is covered with the apple cider vinegar and serve


I served the naked coleslaw with chicken breasts covered with polenta and paprika with potatoes and chopped cherry tomatoes. This recipe made enough salad for our meal and there was enough leftover for the hubby to take to work for his lunch the following day.

Over the coming weeks I will definitely be sharing more FODMAP friendly meals and I will keep you updated on how the hubby gets on with the new diet.

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!



Hijacked By Twins
Hijacked By Twins

3 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely. I really hate mayo so slaw is usually off the menu for me but this sounds like I'd love it! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a lovely salad. Perfect if you do not like or can't have mayonnaise x

      Delete
  2. What a great idea Kirsty, and to be honest I can't stand coleslaw when it's smothered in mayo so would by far prefer your version. Good luck with the FODMAP diet too,
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x