Tuesday 17 January 2017

Smoked Salmon and Kale Pasta - An Aldi Recipe

Recently kale has become my favourite green vegetable to add to meals. When I serve it on it's own, as a side serving, the children are not keen but as soon as I add it to a sauce or mix it with other ingredients they all eat it with no questions asked. So any recipe that contains kale is an instant hit with me.

When I was looking at Aldi's Feed the Family for £5 recipes their Smoked Salmon Pasta immediately caught my eye. Smoked salmon is a fantastically versatile ingredient and thanks to Aldi it is a more affordable ingredient to use. The recipe is part of Aldi's latest campaign that is showing families that you can prepare healthy, tasty meals for under £5. Over the coming weeks I am going to be trying out some of their recipes and taking some inspiration from them to show you that it can be done. Sticking to a budget does not mean that you should compromise on healthy choices.

Today I am going to be telling you how I have taken inspiration from Aldi's Smoked Salmon Pasta recipe which is served with a spinach and walnut salad. I have not made the salad but have added kale and broccoli to the pasta and have even made it Slimming World friendly by making a few simple swaps.

This is what I did...

Smoked Salmon and Kale Salad

Ingredients

400g wholewheat pasta
100g curly kale
6 spring onions, sliced (green part only if you are following the FODMAP plan)
1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
110g smoked salmon flakes
2 tbsp fresh, chopped parsley plus extra to garnish
200g quark
Spray oil


Method

1 - Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and simmer for 8 minutes

2 - Spray a covering of oil in a large saute pan and gently fry the spring onions for 2 minutes

3 - Add the broccoli florets and cook for a further 3 minutes, moving regularly

4 - Add the kale and smoked salmon to the saute pan and cook for a further 2 minutes

5 - Once the pasta is cooked al dente, drain and add to the saute pan

6 - Mix all of the ingredients together and remove from the heat

7 - Add the chopped parsley to the quark and stir together before adding to the pasta and mixing everything together thoroughly

Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.


This meal served 5 and there was enough leftover for lunch the following day. Best of all it cost under £5 to make and I was left with some ingredients leftover.
  • Smoked salmon - £1.59
  • Spring onions - 43p
  • Kale - 49p
  • Broccoli - 35p
  • Wholewheat pasta - 45p per 500g
  • Quark - 75p
  • Parsley - 69p
  • Total = £4.75
Later this week I will be making Haddock and Kale Kedgeree and I will be letting you know if I could make it for £5 or under and show you what I did.

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

Sharing with...
Hijacked By Twins
Hijacked By Twins
Lori's Culinary Creations

9 comments:

  1. What a delicious pasta dish! I still don't use kale as often as I should but we all love smoked salmon. I try to buy it when it's on special offer as it never goes as far as I want it to! Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corina. I love smoked salmon it does not last long here simply because I cannot help but pick at it lol x

      Delete
  2. I am not crazy about kale, but it looks delicious in this recipe! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids do not like it on it's own but love it added to a meal like this or a sauce x

      Delete
  3. Hubby made a really yummy kale soup the other day. This sounds yummy! I love too that my bunnies can eat the kale that we leave over. #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm starting to really enjoy Kale! Wish I had tried it sooner! Thank you for linking up! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the kids' favourite meals is smoked salmon pasta and they love broccoli so I'm sure they'd like this. I know what you mean about kale - it's great isn't it and packed with goodness. I love stirring it into soups and adding it to winter salads. Thanks for linking it up to #CookBlogShare :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Peachicks LOVE brocoli and I am determined they will love kale as much as I do! (still a work in progress) I reckon this would go down well with a bit of tweaking to make it safe for us itchy-scratchies! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x