Friday 20 January 2017

Low Syn/Gluten Free Broccoli Pizza Base

I love pizza but on Slimming World it is a no go if you want to keep those syns down! As I am not one to be beaten I got researching and found a recipe for a cauliflower base on the Slimming World website. I had a go and it was nice, but there was something missing. I found it had to handle and when I tried to turn it over it did break. But this did not put me off, I planned to try again. However when I checked if cauliflower was high or low FODMAP I discovered that it was high. As the hubby is following a low FODMAP eating plan I had to think again. I started to think about what other vegetables could work and broccoli kept coming back to mind. It has a similar texture to cauliflower so thought I'd give it a go.

It was a huge success! Forget cauliflower pizza bases, broccoli is the one the choose if you want a vegetable pizza base. It was so much easier to handle and finished with an irresistible crispy edge, it was so good! I did make a cauliflower one too, for me, and did end up eating the broccoli one with the hubby. As it was such a hit here I thought that it would be a great recipe to share with you.

This is what I did...

Broccoli Base Pizza

Ingredients

350g broccoli florets
1 egg
1 egg white
Salt
Pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
25g gluten free brown flour
1 tbsp green pesto
Tomato
Goats cheese
Mixed leaves

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Place the broccoli florets in a food processor and blitz until you have a breadcrumb consistency

2 - Pour the broccoli into a large mixing bowl cover with cling film and place in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften

3 - Remove from the microwave and allow to cool so that you can handle the mixture, add the egg, egg white, salt and pepper to taste, oregano and the gluten free brown flour

3 - Mix the ingredients together thoroughly until you have a ball of mixture, to start with I used a spoon but as the ingredients came together it was easier to use my hands

4 - Using either a pizza stone or a baking tray place a sheet of foil over the top and spray with a covering of oil

5 - Transfer the broccoli mixture to the tray and gently flatten out the mixture into a circle, or whatever shape you like


6 - Spray a light covering of oil over the top and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15 minutes, gently turn, I used a cake lifter, and bake for a further 5 minutes

7 - Remove from the oven and spread over the green pesto, lay the goats cheese slices and slices of tomatoes in a circle and return to the oven for five minutes

8 - Remove from the oven, top with a handful of mixed leaves and serve


We all definitely preferred the broccoli base to the cauliflower base. Having the extra egg white helped to bind it together better and we loved the crispy edges.


If you are looking for a healthier option or a gluten free alternative to regular pizza bases then I recommend you give this one a go!

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Hijacked By Twins



Link up your recipe of the week



One Messy Mama

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that does look good and I'd love to have a go at making it at home. I made a cauliflower one many years ago and never got round to blogging about it as it was very fragile and fell apart. Please do consider sharing this with #EatYourGreens challenge that I am hosting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had exactly the same problems with the cauliflower base hence why I tried the broccoli base. I found I preferred the texture of the broccoli base too. I'll pop over now and have a look, thank you x

      Delete
  2. Saw this on Instagram and thought 'Wow'! Love it! Great idea. Bookmarked xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, it really was so good and I enjoyed to more than the traditional base x

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a clever idea! I love this, and will definitely be trying it!!! x #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the first time I see a pizza with a broccoli base. I like the idea a lot, it "saves" so many calories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never thought of doing this with my broccoli before. Thanks for sharing. #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if you can do it with cauliflower, why not broccoli? My kids adore broccoli so this would go down well... Especially with some barbecue chicken!! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x