Tuesday 3 January 2017

Leftover Turkey with Pesto Kale and Mango Salsa - Aldi Recipe

As always when January arrives I am craving healthier meals. Don't get me wrong, we had healthy meals over Christmas but our meals were all out of routine and we all enjoyed some treats. As well as craving vegetables we are also feeling the pinch. Like most families we spent a lot both during the run up to Christmas and over the festive holiday so now it is all over we are having to tighten the belt a bit. This includes my shopping budget. I am looking for as many ways as possible to save some extra pennies. I am using our new chest freezer a lot and am freezing food so that it is not wasted but also gives us some more food options. Thankfully one shop that we can all depend on is Aldi!

Before Christmas their super 6 vegetables were down to just 19p each, so I stocked up! I got so many carrots I have even managed to blanch and freeze some. I was excited to see that their Super 6 offer this week included some of my favourite fruit and vegetables. While I was looking through their website before doing my shopping I also discovered a section that I had not seen before, Feed the Family for £5. This immediately caught my attention and needed further investigation! I found 3 different recipes that Aldi have created using the key products in the Super 6 deal over both fruit and vegetables and meats and fish. So I decided to give one of the recipes a go.

I finally decided to try the Roasted Gammon Joint with Kale and Mango Salsa. But as I had got a lot of turkey leftover from Sunday I replaced the gammon steaks with slices of turkey but did make the kale and the mango salsa.

This is what I did...

Leftover Turkey with Pesto Kale and Mango Salsa

Ingredients

Leftover roast turkey slices
1 200g bag of curly kale, washed and patted dry
Spray oil
1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
1 tbsp green pesto
mango, peeled and chopped
kiwis, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Juice from 1/2 a lime
1 tbsp olive oil


Method

1 - Spray a little spray oil into a large saute pan and place over a medium heat

2 - Once the pan has heated up add the kale and the chickpeas to the pan and gently cook

3 - While the kale is cooking mix together the chopped mango and chopped kiwi in a bowl

4 - Stir the chopped coriander, chilli flakes and olive oil into the fruit and leave on one side

5 - Once the kale has softened stir in the pesto and remove from the heat

6 - Place the turkey slices on a plate and serve with a side serving of the pesto kale and scatter some of the mango salsa over the meat


The vibrant colours in this meal make it so irresistible and the fruit salsa goes perfectly with the turkey. If you do not have any turkey you could use chicken or gammon like the original recipe uses. If you have any leftover kale it will make a lovely salad bulked out with some rice, pasta or quinoa.



While the offers are on at Aldi you can make the gammon recipe for just £4.94. If you have leftovers it will be even cheaper. This is how much it cost me to make this meal...
  • Turkey - leftovers
  • Kale - 59p
  • Chickpeas - 33p
  • Pesto - 99p for a jar
  • Mango - 59p
  • Kiwis - 49p for a pack of 6
  • Chilli flakes - 49p for a jar
  • Fresh coriander plant - 69p
  • Lime - 24p
  • Oils - Store cupboard basics
  • Total - £4.41
I still have 4 kiwis, 3/4 of a jar of green pesto, a coriander plant and fresh chilli flakes left for another meal!

Over the coming weeks I will be sharing more ways to keep your shopping bill down with Aldi so keep and eye out or follow my Cheap Budget Meals label.

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.



Hijacked By Twins

Lori's Culinary Creations

Hijacked By Twins

15 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up leftover turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mango kiwi salsa sounds lovely with the savoury turkey and kale dish! I love to mix fruit with meat dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely and something that I will be doing more often. I have had apple with pork and cranberry with turkey but these flavours together as a new one for us x

      Delete
  3. The kale and mango salsa sounds lovely Kirsty. I'm allergic to kiwi fruit unfortunately (random I know!) but I think it would still be good without it. Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could even try it with a different fruit, for me the mango was definitely the main fruit in this salsa x

      Delete
  4. great (and very healthy) way to use up your leftovers x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftovers are so delicious, they are one of the best bits about a big roast dinner x

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious and super healthy too - packed full of nutrients! We cleared our freezer out over the holidays so it's ready to be restocked with lots of healthy homemade meals! Jealous of your chest freezer, though - mine is tiny! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky to get the chest freezer (which is only a couple of years old) as a hand me down. It was too big for my MIL so we got it and she down sized. Before we only had a tiny one so having room like this is a luxury! We are loving being able to store more foods x

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of the pesto and kale together - sounds so tasty! I really don't use kale as often as I should but I'll definitely try and remember this idea! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love kale and having it in the garden is great. This is the first time that I have had kale with pesto and it really is so great together x

      Delete
  7. I love mango salsa but I usually make mine with mango and red pepper - I love the idea of mixing in kiwi fruit though so I'll definitely be trying that :) #SimplySeasonal

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x