Monday 6 January 2014

Blackberry and Elderflower Tea Loaf Containing Fresh Cranberries

When I was looking through my fridge yesterday I noticed that I still had quite a few cranberries that I did not use over Christmas.
 
I love the sweet bitter flavours that cranberries add, however my hubby doesn't.
 
So this gave me that chance to bake something for me!
 
After Christmas I am trying to eat healthier but I also need food which is going to keep me going. The children keep my very busy along with housework so I need something which is going to keep me going.
 
I regularly make hubby his Settling Ginger Tea Loaf and I do enjoy it so I have adapted that recipe a little to create one for me!
 
This is what I got...
 
Blackberry and Elderflower Tea Loaf
 
Ingredients
 
180mls Blackberry and Elderflower tea (I used Taylors of Harrogate tea bags http://www.taylorsofharrogate.co.uk/teaitem.asp?itmid=1716
150g dried mixed fruit with candied peel
100g fresh cranberries
225g self raising flour
25g wholemeal self raising flour
25g soft brown sugar
2tspn mixed spice
1 egg at room temperature
 
Method
 
1 - Soak the dried fruit in the blackberry and elderflower tea and leave preferably over night or at least a couple of hours

Pre heat the oven to 180C

2 - Once the dried fruit has plumped up place it in a large mixing bowl and add the cranberries, sugar, and mixed spices
 
3 - Beat the egg and add to the fruit mix and combine together

4 - Sift in the flour and mix together

5 - Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper that has been brushed with a little melted butter to prevent sticking and add the mixture

6 - Place in the oven for 45 - 60 minutes. Check after 30 minutes as I found out on my first attempt that this bake will get brown quite quickly and if you do not keep a close eye on it it'll burn. When you check on it if it is a good brown colour cover it over with foil and continue to cook until a knife comes out clean when placed through the middle

7 - Once cooked remove from the tin and leave to cool on a cooking rack

This loaf has the sweetness from this lovely refreshing tea along with the bitterness from the cranberries and is incredibly moist!
Lovely with a little butter and a cup of coffee mid morning!
Enjoy x
 
 
 
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com Link up your recipe of the week
SuperBusyMum
 

19 comments:

  1. I love tea loafs, and I'm on the look out for some new recipes; adding this one to my list :) #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the elderflower added to it, looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love elderflower and can't wait until summer to have some in the grden to use x

      Delete
  3. Oh wow that looks wonderful-bet its heavenly with a nice brew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my mid morning treat once the twins are napping I have a couple of slices ith a good cup of coffee! Thank you for hosting x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, they look really yummy, I should give those a go #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh that sounds delicious! Might have to give it a try :) #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds AMAZING! Going to try that one.
    #MMWBH www.myfamilyfever.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Perfect for a tea-time treat! Just stopping by from the Mad Midweek Blog Hop :)

    Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great way to use up some Christmas left-overs. I love tea loafs and this one looks really yummy. Dropping in from #tastytuesdays and #recipeoftheweek.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Texture looks perfect and the fruity, spicy combination sounds divine.

    Thanks for joining in with #recipeoftheweek - I've pinned and tweeted this recipe :) There's a fresh linky live at the moment, so do please pop over if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I have a yummy cake to link up this week!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x