Monday 20 January 2014

Wholegrain Goodness Challenge Week 1 Meal Plan - Week Commencing 20th January 2014

Today we start our Wholegrain Goodness Challenge with Mumsnet and Wholegrain Goodness.
For the next 2 weeks we will be eating at least one of the recommended three servings of wholegrain a day.
At the weekend I went shopping a stocked up with plenty of wholegrain alternatives.
So this week all of our evening meals will contain at least one serving of wholegrain. I have also baked some wholemeal bread and used rapeseed oil to make it even healthier!
During the week I will be trying some new wholemeal bakes and if I make any pastry I will be using wholemeal flour!
This is what delicious wholegrain dinners we will be enjoying this week!
 
Week Commencing 20th January 2014
 
* Beef Steak Strips in a Creamy Mustard Sauce on Wholegrain Rice
 
I dry fry the beef steak strips with some red onions, mushrooms and red peppers. Once the meat is cooked through I add some wholegrain mustard followed by some double cream. The beef steak and sauce is served on a bed of wholegrain rice.
 
* Spaghetti Carbonara with Wholegrain Spaghetti
 
This is a lovely, tasty, quick easy meal! I fry up some smoked bacon, garlic and onions. Once cooked through I add the cooked spaghetti, pour over a mixture of eggs, milk and grated cheese. Cook for a couple of minutes and serve. Quick and easy!
 
* Cottage Pie with Pearl Barley and a Cheesy Oat Topping
 
I will make my usual cottage pie mixture with minced beef steak, onions, mushrooms and carrots but will also add some pearl barley. I will be topping the cottage pie this week with mashed sweet potato and finishing it off with an cheesy oat topping that will be grilled.
 
* Lemon Chicken coated in Oats and Thyme
 
I will soak the chicken breasts in the lemon juice then will make an oat and thyme breadcrumb. This will be served with new potatoes and grilled courgettes and peppers
 
* Beef and Barley Stew
 
I love a good slow cooked beef stew and dumplings! So I will be making my usual stew recipes but will add pearl barley. This will be served with wholemeal dumplings!
 
* Beef and Barley Stew Leftover Pie
 
One of the best things about stew is the leftovers the next day! These make a lovely pie which will be with a wholemeal pastry.
 
I am looking forward to the challenge of adding wholegrain to our diets and trying some new dishes!

 
Our Wholegrain Goodies

 
For more Wholegrain Goodness information visit
 
To read the feedback from the Wholegrain Goodness Challenge visit
 
I am linking up my weekly meal plan with At Home With Mrs M's Meal Planning Monday. Take at look at some other meal plan here...
 


1 comment:

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x