Wednesday 22 January 2014

Wholegrain Goodness Challenge Day 2

We have had a second day with added wholegrain goodness!
This is how we got on on day 2...

Wholegrain Goodness Challenge - Day 2

Breakfast

I kept the twins with their usual breakfast of wheat biscuits and bananas. I do not want to add too much wholegrain in one go for them. I feel that as they are younger it should be increased a little at a time.
Joseph and hubby started the day with a bowl of Shreddies!
As for me, well I had my usual coffee!

Lunch

The twins had some of the beef in creamy mustard sauce with wholegrain rice that I cooked last night and they loved it!
Hubby had his wholemeal bread sandwiches and a piece of wholemeal cinnamon and honey cake.
I had a wholemeal bread sandwich along with a bag of wholegrain Sunbites.

Dinner

Last night I made a wholegrain cottage pie. I used my regular recipe of minced beef steak, onions, mushrooms, kale, sweetcorn, tinned tomatoes, beef stock and Worcester sauce. However yesterday I added 100g of pearl barley. Firstly I cooked the pearl barley in vegetable stock for 45 minutes and the added it to my cottage pie mix to finish cooking. I topped the meat with a sweet and white potato mash covered with oats and cheese. I finished the dish off by grilling until the cheese had melted and the top was crispy.
This was the first time that I have used pearl barley in my cooking but I will definitely be using it again. We all loved what it added to the dish and the cheesy oat topping gave it a crispy finish!


Cottage Pie with Pearl Barley
sweet and white potato
with a cheesy oat topping


Day 2 Results

Twins - 2 wholegrain servings
Joseph - 2 wholegrain servings
Hubby - 4 wholegrain servings
Me - 3 wholegrain servings

Another successful wholegrain day has been had here!

Disclaimer: The Wholegrain Goodness Challenge is in association with Mumsnet and Wholegrain Goodness. I received a shopping voucher to purchase wholegrain foods but all of the views expressed are my own and 100% honest.
To read some of other feedback visit Mumsnet Wholegrain Goodness Challenge
To read more about the health benefits of wholegrain visit Wholegrain Goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x