Thursday 16 March 2017

Quinoa Stir Fry Salad

Quinoa is one of those great ingredients that I just cannot get enough of. I love it! It is such a versatile ingredient. I can be used in sweet dishes as well as savoury and is so quick to prepare. I always have a good supply of quinoa in the house!

Not only is quinoa versatile and tasty it is also a super food. Quinoa is gluten free and a complete protein that contains all of the essential amino acids which helps your body to repair muscle, which is especially needed after exercising. Quinoa contains three times more iron than brown rice so it is an ideal addition to your diet if you suffer from anaemia. As well as amino acids and iron it is also a great source of folate, manganese, magnesium and zinc. When I cook quinoa I usually cook it in a bulk as once it is cooked it can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days!

My quinoa stir fry salad is a bit of a mixture of meals. It contains stir fried vegetables but it is like a salad. It can be eaten warm or cold the following day. It is such a versatile base to a meal. I have enjoyed it with smoked salmon and eggs, while the hubby had his the following day with mackerel in tomato sauce. The possibilities are endless!

This is what I did...

Quinoa Stir Fry Salad

Ingredients

75g quinoa
2 carrots, sliced
1 onion, halved and sliced
3 cabbage leaves, shredded
50g green beans, quartered
Spray oil
Scottish smoked salmon
Eggs, hard boiled

Method

1 - Bring 200mls of water to the boil

2 - Rinse the quinoa under cold water, this will remove the bitter coating

3 - Place the rinsed quinoa into the pan of boiling water and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes

4 - Heat a wok or frying pan and spray over a covering of oil

5 - Stir fry the onion, carrots, green beans and cabbage over a high heat for 3 minutes

6 - Add the cooked quinoa to the stir fried vegetables and cook for a further minutes mixing thoroughly

7 - Serve with smoked salmon and hard boiled eggs


I love good, healthy meals that are quick and easy to make. A meal like this is so much more substantial that a sandwich, it will keep you fuller for longer and provide you with so much more goodness!


If you are following the Slimming World eating plan then you will be pleased to hear that this is a delicious syn free meal and if you follow a gluten free diet you can enjoy as much as you like!

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Hijacked By Twins

2 comments:

  1. I love quinoa as well and although my kids aren't particularly keen on it I find it has a handy quality in that it sticks to things well so it's hard to leave!!! And of course it's a great source of protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a fan of quinoa although unfortunately the rest of my family are not quite as keen. This is a really tasty and filling looking meal. It would be just the thing for me to make for lunch one day then eat up over the next few days so thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTWice x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x