Tuesday 14 March 2017

St Patrick's Day Guinness Shepherd's Pie

Friday 17th March is St Patrick's day. Whether you are Irish or not you simply cannot get away from it. So for this weeks recipe with Aldi I thought that I would bring you a taste of Ireland. Today's recipe uses an iconic ingredient from Ireland, Guinness. 

Shepherd's pie is such a classic, comforting meal and one that can be easily adapted to give it added twists. This meal was a huge success with the family and with the added vegetables in the a colcannon for the topping I knew they were getting even more goodness in their meal. Colcannon is an Irish mashed potato that is full of extra vegetables.

So this St Patrick's day why not try my Guinness Shepherd's Pie!

This is what I did...

St Patrick's Day Guinness Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients

Lamb sauce

500g lamb mince
leek, sliced
250g chantenay carrots, halved and quartered
150g swede, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
300mls Guinness
300mls lamb stock

Colcannon

800g potatoes, chopped
4 cabbage leaves, I use Sweetheart cabbage but you can use any that you like, shredded
1 leek, quartered and sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Splash of milk
Salt and pepper
Spray oil
Cheese

Method

1 - Place the lamb mince in a large pan and brown over a medium to high heat for 2 minutes

2 - Add the leeks and garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes

3 - Add the carrots and swede and cook for a further 5 minutes

4 - Pour over the Guinness and lamb stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes

5 - While the sauce is simmering place the chopped potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water

6 - Simmer the potatoes for 20 minutes or until soft

7 - While the potatoes are cooking heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat and spray over a covering of oil

8 - Place the shredded cabbage, leeks and garlic in the frying pan and stir fry for a couple of minutes or until the cabbage has softened

9 - Once the potatoes are soft, drain and return to the pan to mash

10 - Mash the potatoes until smooth and stir in the butter


11 - Stir in the cabbage, leeks and garlic and mix thoroughly

12 - Spoon the lamb sauce into an oven proof casserole dish and top with the colcannon


13 - Grate over your favourite cheese and place under a hot grill to melt the cheese before serving


This meal was a huge success and one that we will be enjoying all year round. The Guinness adds a lovely depth of flavour that transforms this everyday meal into something extra special. Thanks to Aldi you can make this delicious meal and keep the costs down. 


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

Sharing with...

Hijacked By Twins
Hijacked By Twins

7 comments:

  1. As you now know I am not a fan of lamb, and I have made shepherds pie a couple of time to see if I can past the lamb flavour, but I cant! So if I were to make this , I would use beef or turkey instead or maybe pork mince. It looks lovely though and I love the extra goodness from the veggies inside and on top of it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious Shepherds Pie Kirsty, I love the addition of Guinness and how you've used colcannon as a topping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous hearty meal and perfect for St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colcannon mash on this! Sounds like a delicious recipe for St Patrick's Day. Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to read this article, love your blog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh Yum! I see only one problem with this... I would have to share guinness which I LOVE when i can get away with drinking it with my grumpy old lungs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x