Sunday 9 August 2015

Lemon and Rooibos Madeira Cake

You know when the Bake Off has returned when you wake up in the middle of the night and start planning a cake to bake! Yes after a year the Great British Bake Off has returned as The Great Bloggers Bake Off has also returned!

Recently (since my depression began) I have completely lost my baking mojo. You may have noticed that the number of bake posts has gone down. I am hoping that GBBO will give me a kick up the bum and get me baking again. I have always loved baking and I cannot wait to get baking as I did before.

This cake was thought of in the middle of the night. But it was thought of in a different way first. The first cake that I made was a lemon and lemon rooibos tea. However I brewed the tea first and added the liquid to the cake. It did turn out too moist so a second cake, as per the hubby's request, was made with different measurements and using plain rooibos leaves.

This is what I did...

Lemon Rooibos Madeira Cake

Ingredients

200g butter
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
225g self raising flour
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1tbsp rooibos tea

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Mix together the butter and sugar until light and creamy

2 - Add the eggs one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Add the lemon juice and zest along with half of the remaining flour and mix thoroughly

4 - Place the rooibos tea in the remaining flour and add mix together

5 - Add the flour and rooibos to the cake mixture and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined together

6 - Pour the mixture into a prepared loaf tin and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean

7 - When baked remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack


This Madeira cake was everything that I had hoped. It had a lovely crispy top that had a deep crack all the way along but was then deliciously moist and light inside.


The lemon gave the cake a lovely citrus tang and the tea added an extra depth of flavour. Together they go perfectly!



Enjoy x

I am sharing with:

Mummy Mishaps
Link up your recipe of the week
CookBlogShare
Casa Costello

14 comments:

  1. Ooh this looks delicious, you can't beat a slice of Madeira cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cake, I bet the tea adds loads of flavour! The texture is great, yum yum. Thanks for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have tight of adding tea to a Madeira cake! I so want a big slice though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely and I love the inventive flavours! Now I want to make a Madeira too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great looking cake Kirsty and how inventive to include rooibos and lemon - bet it was lovely and moist.
    thank you for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great Kirsty, I would welcome a piece with my cuppa xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely Kirsty I've not heard of the tea before I'll try this out some time. Wanted to say I'm sorry you've been low recently and wish you the best I know I've lost a lot of love for things I love doing recently. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I've made tea bread many times but I haven't thought of adding tea, or rooibos for that matter, to a cake. Must try this soon. Hope the baking helps you to feel better x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fabulous idea to add tea to your loaf! I bet it tasted amazing, it certainly looks it
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds really interesting, I've never tried rooibos or heard of it to be honest but the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sound of using tea - must give this a try. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of rooibos but never thought of using it in a cake - this looks and sounds delicious, love lemon cake! #gbbobloggers2015

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow!! looks yummy!!! so unusual flavours!! sounds delish x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x