Friday 14 August 2015

Amaretti Biscotti - Great Bloggers Bake Off

When I saw that biscotti was one of the challenges for this weeks bakers on the Great British Bake Off I knew I simply had to have a go at it. My husband loves biscotti so how could I not bake them.

I have decided to use amaretti with my bake to make them a naughty but good!

I got the basic recipe from Great British Bake Off Everyday but have changed it from chocolate biscotti to my own amaretti biscotti.

This is what I did....

Amaretti Biscotti

Ingredients

50g whole blanched almonds
50g whole blanched hazelnuts
100g unsalted butter, melted
3 eggs
200g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp Amaretti liqueur
375g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder

Topping

100g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
1 tbsp Amaretti liqueur

Method

1 - Pre heat the oven to 180C

2 - Place the nuts on a baking tray and roast for 6 -8 minutes

3 - Remove from the oven and leave on one side

4 - Whisk the eggs until frothy

5 - Add the melted butter, sugar and amaretti to the eggs and whisk on a high speed for about 10 minutes or until thick

6 - Sift in the flour and baking powder and the nuts gently mix in using a wooden spoon

7 - Once you have a heavy dough like consistency flour your hands and halve the mixture

8 - On a lined baking tray create 2 logs leaving enough space for the mixture to rise

9 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 25 minutes

10 - Once the top is golden and the logs are firm to the touch remove from the oven and leave to completely cool

11 - Pre heat the oven to 180C

12 - Once the biscuit logs are completely cool, using a bread knife, cut diagonally into slices that are about 2cms thick

13 - Place the slices on to a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes

14 - After 10 minutes remove from the oven and leave the slices on the baking tray for 5 minutes allowing the biscotti to firm up

15 - Remove for the baking tray and allow to cool on a cooling rack

16 - For the chocolate coating melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water, once melted remove from the heat

17 - Quickly stir in the amaretti liqueur, it will thicken the chocolate, if it is too thick add 1 tablespoon of milk

18 - Either dip the biscotti or spoon over one end and place on a sheet of baking paper to set


These biscuits really are worth the extra effort. They are simply delicious! The amaretti liqueur is subtle in the biscotti but the amaretti chocolate dip really does give you the full flavour. They go perfectly with a coffee and a little tipple of liqueur!


Until now I have always said that I am not a biscuit baker, I have never had much success with biscuits. But now I have found a biscuit that I enjoy baking and can bake well! I can guarantee that this will not be the last time that I bake these delights!


Enjoy x



Disclosure: Tesco covered the cost of the ingredients that were required for this bake for the purpose of this post. You can find many baking recipes on the Tesco Real Food Baking page.

Mummy Mishaps
CookBlogShare

13 comments:

  1. Gimme! You had be craving immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love biscotti, I must make these. #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love amaretti, such a gorgeous flavour and I really like the idea of having an extra flavour hit with the chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love amaretti, such a gorgeous flavour and I really like the idea of having an extra flavour hit with the chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look gorgeous, and with the flavour of amoretti they must have been incredible. I can certainly understand why you'll be making them again!
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have a lovely rich colour, and the flavour from the amaretti must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh these look very good indeed Kirsty x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many gorgeous biscotti this week, I wish I had made them now. They look yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the idea of dipping half in chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love biscotti! Adding chocolate on them is a great idea. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HAVE to make these! I made some chocolate ones and drank it with Amaretti coffee. That was good but Amaretti biscuits with amaretti chocolate dip? Even better! ##gbbo

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow how fab do these look

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x