Tuesday 29 September 2015

Organic Carrot and Lentil Soup - Aldi Organic Range

September has been Organic month and I have trying to swap some of our everyday foods for organic alternative. During the month I have found that some ingredients have been expensive to swap and we simply cannot make a permanent change, especially when, like us and most families, money is tight and you need to budget. So when I was contacted and asked if I would like to try some organic products from Aldi I was curious and could not wait to see what they had to offer.

I will admit that I have never done a weekly shopping trip at Aldi before so this was going to be a completely new experience. I have, of course, seen the television adverts about their prices and have heard many people talk about how much money they saved. But for me, saving money is not everything, the quality of food is much more important. As a mum, wife and food blogger I am passionate about good food and good quality is everything.

When I heard that Aldi were starting to introduce their own affordable organic range this certainly sparked my interest. If I was able to buy organic, all of the time, at affordable prices I definitely would.
Last week I went to do my weekly shop a day early and I will admit that I did keep my usual delivery slot reserved just in case I could not get what I wanted. I am pleased to say that this was cancelled when I returned home! I was able to get everything on my shopping list, plus a few extras for a fraction of the price that I would normally pay! I was even able to put a bottle of wine in the trolley and a couple of beers for the hubby! Normally when I have a trolley full of food, cleaning and household items and some alcohol it can cost anything between £100 and £150!

But at Aldi, this trolley full of shopping cost me just under £80! I bought fresh fruit and vegetables, meats, fish, frozen foods, toiletries, cleaning products, toilet and kitchen rolls, dairy products, crisps, tins, squash, wine, beers and breakfast cereals!

Everything that we needed for a week! I was amazed!

With regard to the quality of the food, so far what we have tried has been just as good as the well known branded items. We really did feel like we were in the advert comparing the two "I like this one, and I like this one" but like the advert says the Aldi one was significantly cheaper!


When it came to looking for the organic range I was amazed by how cheap they were! I was able to buy organic carrots, onions, potatoes, apples, bananas and milk. Aldi are always expanding their range and I am looking forward to see what else they will stock.


Using some of the organic products that I bought in Aldi I have made this delicious soup!



Carrot and Lentil Soup

Ingredients

5 large carrots, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 onion, chopped
125g lentils (I used a mixture of red and green)
1 potato, chopped
1 ltr vegetable stock
1 tsp ground coriander

Method

1 - Place all of the vegetables and lentils in a large pan or soup maker

2 - Pour over the vegetable stock, mix in the coriander, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until all of the vegetables and lentils are soft

3 - Leave to cool slightly before blending up into a smooth soup

This soup is perfect for lunch on a cold day. It really is a warming and comforting soup and what is even better is that it is good for you and did not cost a fortune to make!


Enjoy x

Disclosure: I was sent some Aldi shopping vouchers for the purpose of this post. All views, words and opinions are my own and 100% honest.

I am joining in with CookBlogShare, this week it is hosted by Kerry Cooks.

CookBlogShare
Jo's Kitchen
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week

7 comments:

  1. I love Aldi...I just wish there was one nearer me! It is fab that they do organic stuff...somewhere to shop cheaply but still get quality! The soup looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Aldi...I just wish there was one nearer me! It is fab that they do organic stuff...somewhere to shop cheaply but still get quality! The soup looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aldi has got so much better over the past few years, I remember trying my weekly shop there & I had to go & do another shop at Tescos afterwards. Looking forward to checking out Aldi when I get back to the UK. Your soup looks delicious Kirsty, perfect for this time of year x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Aldi, its just across the road from me and much cheaper. Great range of stuff as well. Loving your soup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so after recently converting to Lidl, maybe I should give Aldi a go next. I've been so impressed with the quality and the price is fantastic. Win, win

    Lovely looking soup, will have to give that a go xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious, Aldi is fab, really need to get there more often, it's so far from where we live, it makes it hard for us. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love shopping at Aldi too. Great looking soup. Thank you for taking part in #SuperSoup!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x