Wednesday 2 September 2015

Great Bloggers Bake Off - Free From Week - Coconut Bounty Cake

When I saw that the week that I would be hosting the Great Bloggers Bake Off linky party was free from week to say I was excited (and pleased!) is an understatement!

I have recently been baking and eating more free from foods. This have been a journey of food discovery. Free from baking is completely different from traditional baking. All of the weights that you regularly follow go out of the window. It is like learning all over again. Different flours and ingredients act in different ways so some research needed to be done.

This week, in the tent, the bakers had the following challenges...
  • The signature challenge saw the bakers create a variety of sugar-free cakes. They used honey, agave syrup and fruit, but there's more to replacing sugar than just adding sweetness.
  • Paul's technical challenge was gluten-free pittas, which are made with a very sticky dough which really tested the bakers' skill.
  • For their show-stopper, the bakers made dairy-free ice cream rolls. Mary and Paul were looking for silky-smooth ice cream, surrounded by jam and a light sponge. 
After seeing what the challenges were I decided to make a cake which is not just a sugar free sponge, but is also gluten and dairy free. The chocolate ganache does contain sugar in the dark chocolate but is also dairy free.

This is what I did...

Coconut Bounty Cake

Ingredients

Cake

125g coconut flour
100g raw honey (I used Raw Health Organic Tropical Forest Honey which has lovely floral hints)
100g maple syrup
4 eggs
200g vegetable baking spread
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xanthan powder
50g desiccated coconut (plus extra to decorate)
3 tbsp coconut milk

Chocolate Ganache

200g good quality dark chocolate min 70% cocoa solids (I used Lindt)
100mls coconut milk

Method

Pre heat the oven to 160C fan

1 - Using the all in one method place the coconut flour, raw honey, maple syrup, eggs, baking spread, baking powder, xanthan powder, desiccated coconut and coconut milk in a large bowl and using an electric whisk combine all of the ingredients together until evenly combined.

2 - Divide the mixture between 2 lined and greased sandwich tins.

3 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20 minutes.

4 - Once thoroughly baked remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing from the tin and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack.

5 - To make the ganache melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water.

6 - When the chocolate is almost completely melted remove from the pan and stir until completely melted.

7 - Stir in the coconut milk.

8 - Spread a thick layer of the ganache on the bottom sponge.

9 - Place the second sponge on the top and cover in the remaining ganache and sprinkle over some desiccated coconut.


Coconut flour is a delicious alternative to traditional flour but it is a much denser flour, therefore when using it you do not need as much as it absorbs a lot more liquid.

This Bounty inspired cake is delicious on its own or with a drizzle of cream. As you can see from the pictures below it was enjoyed by the whole family!

Enjoy x






Now it is your turn. I cannot wait to see what free from delights you have been baking. Please pop over to Mummy Mishaps to check the Great Bloggers Bake Off 2015 rules and to get the code for this years badge.

Mummy Mishaps

CookBlogShare
Ready, Steady, Bake!!!


14 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Kirsty how good does this look and sound! I love chocolate and coconut (in fact I could murder a Bounty bar right now!), such a great idea for this week. And i love how much your children are tucking in to it - lovely stuff xx
    thank you for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh holy monkey beans I'm so baking this! Looks so good I love bounty it's been years since I could eat one so this could be the next best thing!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty, I love coconut and chocolate. My hubbie would love this cake as bounty are his favourite x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a Bounty so this cake would last no time at all in my hands!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a massive coconut fan but this looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good and I'm so impressed that it's sugar free, dairy free and gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bounties are my favourite so I'd love this.. Do come and add it to the #freefromfridays linky http://www.freefromfarmhouse.co.uk/recipes/free-from-fridays/free-fridays-4th-september-2015/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very impressed by just how 'free from' your cake is and still looks so delicious! It is great to have all these alternatives - we're not allergic to dairy/gluten etc ingredients but i often prefer the taste of alternatives eg rice milk instead of regular milk so it's great to see so many recipes with free from alternatives for cake. #gbbobloggers2015

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, yummy, and it looks like your twins enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm scrummy! Bounties are one of my favourite chocolate bars. Your children certainly seem to be enjoying it!
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bounty bars are my absolute favourite!! Pinning this for sure.. Might be the death of me but hey, at least I will go happy!! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done on the challenge, cake looks amazing. It is difficult to work without one or more of the items that stabilise a cake to be what we perceive it needs to be. I have not tried the ganache with coconut milk, I usually use the coconut cream instead, will need to try this way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow that just look delicious, I love coconut

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so tasty, could just demolish a slice right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x