Wednesday 8 June 2016

Cake Fit for a Queen!

Yesterday I gave you my top ideas for hosting a street party to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday this weekend. Today I am sharing with you a cake which is fit for a Queen!

You cannot beat the simplicity of a Victoria Sponge, it is a cake that everybody loves. For today's cake I have changed one ingredients from the traditional Victoria Sponge. I have not used caster sugar in today's recipe. Instead I have used light brown muscovado sugar. Adding the light brown sugar gives the cake a deeper, richer flavour which goes perfectly with the cream and fruit.

This is what I did...

Cake Fit of a Queen

Ingredients

150g butter
150g light brown muscovado sugar
3 eggs
150g self raising flour
1/2tsp vanilla paste
300mls double cream
25g icing sugar
400g strawberries, sliced
50g blueberries

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy

2 - Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Add the remaining flour and the vanilla paste

4 - Line and grease two sandwich tins and divide the mixture between the two

5 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20 minutes

6 - Once thoroughly baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely

7 - Place the cream in a bowl with the icing sugar and whisk until stiff

8 - Smooth a layer of cream on the base cake and spread over a layer of  strawberries

9 - Place the second cake on the top and top with the remaining cream

10 - To create the Union Jack style on the top make a cross using the strawberries and add a second line inside using blueberries


This cake is deliciously light and the fruit finishes it off to perfection. It is a true summer dessert which is best enjoyed out in the sun!


Perfect for a street party and a cake that I am sure the Queen would love!


Enjoy x


CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week
Casa Costello

17 comments:

  1. mmmmmm this looks divine and delicious Kirsty and definitely fit for a Queen :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I just love Victoria sponge, it's definitely one of my favourite cakes. Such a good idea to change the sugar - must try that. Also love what you've done with the fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so amazing-just perfection! Bring me a slice to BML please. ...Absolutely fit for her Majesty. Thanks for linking up to #TastyTuesdays ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great how the summer fruits just lend themselves to making a great summer cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this looks amazing!! You can't beat fresh summer fruits and a beautifully baked cake, they just work so well together don't they! :) x #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! Needed a birthday cake idea for my daughter using strawberries and cream so this is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good Victoria sponge cake my birthday is next week so I'll probably make a small one to share with my son and husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so yummy, got a wee oes birthday coming up who loves fruit so this is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing, I could just eat a big piece right now x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I have a piece? It looks incredible - I suck at making cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine the flavor of this piece of beauty! It looks so fresh and light. Perfect recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cake looks delicious Kirsty, what a great idea to use light muscavado sugar. thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing can beat traditional victoria sponge and with cream and strawberries to. Simply delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cake looks amazing, shame you don't live closer otherwise I would pop in for tea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow - this looks absolutely incredible! You are so clever, I bet it was delicious. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This cake looks absolutely delicious, making me so hungry early in the morning. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum! This truly does look fit for a queen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x