Tuesday 28 June 2016

Steak Pie

Who doesn't love a good pie? Pie has to be one of the best comfort foods and it is one of my hubby's favourite meals. I know that pie is a perfect winter time meal but we also enjoy pies as an alternative to a Sunday roast. The recipe that I am sharing with you today is what I made on Father's Day.


The five ingredients, pictured above, combine together to make a truly delicious pie filling. I recently discovered that Aldi stock some fantastic mixed herb grinder pots from Stonemill. For this recipe I have used the garlic, herb and tomato seasoning grinder. These little, full of flavour, pots are an ideal way to add extra flavours to your dishes in a perfectly balanced way.

Slow cooking the pie filling in either a slow cooker or in the oven as I did leaves you with lovely tender meat and you can prepare it and leave it to cook while you spend time with your family.

This is what I did...
Steak Pie

Ingredients

700g diced beef
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, halved and sliced
1 carrot, quartered and sliced
2tbsp flour
Garlic, herb and tomato seasoning grinder
2 beef stock cubes
320g ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg
600mls water

Method

1 - Pre heat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas Mark 3

2 - Seal the beef by quickly browning off in a frying pan over a medium heat

3 - Place the meat in either a large casserole dish with a lid or in the slow cooker

4 - Add the onions, leeks and carrots

5 - Place the flour in a bowl and add a good helping of herbs using the grinder, the seasoning can be added to taste


6 - Add the flour and herb mixture to the meat and vegetables and mix thoroughly

7 - Pour over the water, cover the dish and place in the centre of the pre heated oven, or turn on the slow cooker

8 - Leave in the oven for at least 4 hours

9 - Once the meat is cooked and tender remove from the oven and turn the heat up to 200C/190C Fan/Gas Mark 6


10 - Place the meat and vegetables into a pie dish reserving the juices to make a gravy

11 - Place the pre rolled puff pasty over the top of the pie, crimp the edges and cut a slit in the top to allow steam to escape

12 - Beat the egg and brush over the top of the pastry

13 - Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until nice and brown

14 - Heat the juices in a pan and add a few gravy granules to thicken the juices and add extra flavour

Serve with potatoes and vegetables.


The diced beef from Aldi cost just £4.69 for 700g and is perfect for pies and casseroles.

Enjoy x

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post
CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes winter food in summer! And to be honest, with the weather we're having at the moment, it doesn't feel much like summer!! I really like how simple this pie is to make. And I bet the slow cooked beef tastes amazing! Have pinned :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. This looks amazing. I have been pondering on what to make with my homemade puff pastry (made with my wholegrain gluten-free flour blend)...perhaps this is the thing to show it off in my ebook. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! As far as I'm concerned pie is a year round meal! Thanks for sharing, I'll be making this soon! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today has definitely been a day for this type of pie! I love pies as I'm a real pastry lover and this is a great alternative to a Sunday roast too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so hearty and tasty x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pie all year round too! This looks delicious and I know my husband would have loved this for Father's Day #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x