Wednesday 18 March 2015

Sugar Free Chocolate and Strawberry Cake

Yes you have read the title correctly. This is my recipe for a sugar free cake with the help from Natvia.


You will know that I have recently been on a weight loss journey, which will be getting a kick to get going again. Sugar is one of the things that was cut out completely and it certainly was missed, as was cake! When Natvia got in touch to tell me about their 100% natural sweetener I was curious to find out more. I will admit to being cautious with sweeteners after hearing the effects of aspartame in the news. However when I learnt that Natvia is made using 100% natural sources I decided to give it a go. It was fantastic to be able to enjoy a little sweetener in my tea and coffee without worrying about the calories. If I am honest, I really could not tell the difference between sugar and Natvia.

When it came to trying Natvia in my baking I decided to let my family tell me if they could tell the difference. I decided to make a chocolate gateaux sort of cake. I made the cake using my regular recipe except I substituted the caster sugar with the Natvia baking sweetener. If anyone was going to tell the difference it would be the cake connoisseur's that are my hubby and dad.

This is what I did to test Natvia baking sweetener...


Sugar Free Chocolate and Strawberry Cake

Ingredients

200g baking spread
200g Natvia baking sweetener
4 eggs
175g self raising flour
25g cocoa
200g strawberries
200mls double cream
1tbsp Natvia icing sweetener

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan/200C/Gas Mark 6/400F

1 - Place the baking spread, Natvia baking sweetener, eggs, self raising flour and cocoa in a bowl and mix together

2 - Divide the cake mixture evenly into two sandwich tins and place in the pre heated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until thoroughly baked

3 - Once baked remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before removing and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack

4 - Once the cake has cooled whip the cream with the icing sugar until thick

5 - Take 150g of the strawberries and slice them

6 - Spread a thick layer of cream on the top of one of the cakes, this will be the base

7 - Arrange a layer of strawberry slices on top of the cream and place the second sponge on top

8 - Spread a layer of cream over the top of the cake and slice the remaining strawberries in half and arrange on the top of the cake


I decided to serve the cake to my family, watch them all eat and then ask if they enjoyed it. They all loved my chocolate and strawberry cake. When everyone had finished I asked if they noticed anything different with the cake. They all looked at me confused so I asked them if they could tell that I had not used traditional sugar in the cake. Nobody could taste the difference! The cake turned out just as delicious as when sugar is used.

The only difference was the calories!

A cake that has NO sugar calories in!

If you are wanting to reduce your sugar intake I would thoroughly recommend trying Natvia for a sweetener. Natvia is currently the number one sweetener in Australia and are currently making the move to the UK and I can see them having the same success here.

Enjoy x


Disclosure: I was sent a selection of Natvia products for the purpose of this post. No payment was received. All views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.



#CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Casa Costello

5 comments:

  1. Crazy! I'll have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS LOVE that it's sugar free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of this cake but I must be honest – I have tried Natvia and I found it almost tasteless. Must be a personal preference as I am used to Splenda in my hot drinks which is very sweet. Still wouldn't it be awesome if all cakes were calorie-free? Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a pretty looking cake and fab that it is sugar free x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x