Tuesday 3 March 2015

Sweet Mama Squash and Tomato Soup

During the cold months there is nothing better than a warming lunch of homemade soup.

This week in my organic vegetables box I received a Sweet Mama Squash. Squash is a perfect base for a wholesome soup. I often find that if it is cooked any other way my children won't eat it, but give them a soup with squash in and they will demolish it! Plus soups are a sneaky way of getting some more vegetables in them!

This is what I did...


Sweet Mama Squash and Tomato Soup

Ingredients

400g sweet mama squash, diced
4 shallots, chopped
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1 large red Ramiro pepper, chopped
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube

Method

1 - Place all of the vegetables in either a soup maker or a pan

2 - Pour over the chopped tomatoes

3 - Place the stock cube in the empty tin, fill with boiling water and mix until the stock cube has dissolved then pour into the soup maker or pan

4 - Either start the soup maker on a smooth setting or bring the ingredients to the boil then simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the vegetables have softened

5 - If cooking in a pan, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blitzing in a blender until smooth


This soup is delicious on its own, or why not add some fresh seeded bread. To make it a little bit creamier add a teaspoon of cream to each bowl before serving.

If you are following the Slimming World plan this is a delicious syn free soup!


Enjoy x

I am sharing this recipe with Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesdays and A Mummy Too - Recipe of the Week

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week

3 comments:

  1. I did have to google what a sweet mama squash was! I've never heard of it! This soup looks so tasty though, very nourishing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsty, your soup looks yummy. We all love soup at home, but I've never heard of sweet mama squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect, so vibrant and tasty, tomato soup is one of my faves. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x