Wednesday 25 March 2015

Vegetable Risotto - Family Favourites

Risotto is definitely a family favourite. However the traditional way that I make it is not all good for you! So that is why I decided to make a healthier version which is easier and quicker to make.

This is a dish which can be easily adapted for different tastes or seasons. I enjoy using as vegetables when they are in season. So the addition of baby sprouts would not be in this meal if I cooked it in the summer. I have found that the children are more inclined to eat and try the vegetables if they are in meals like this. Joseph, who is 10, will not eat sprouts, however when I cooked this dish I was amazed to see he ate the lot! Without moaning! That is a successful meal in my book.

This is what I did...


Vegetable Risotto

Ingredients - Serves 4 -5

3 cups of rice
1 red onion, chopped
525g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
180g baby sprouts, halved
170g fresh peas
2 vegetable stock cubes

Method

1 - Cook the rice as per instructions

2 - Bring a pan of water to the boil and simmer the baby sprouts for 10 minutes then add the peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes

3 - Spray a little oil in a saute pan or large frying pan

4 - Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and gently cook over a medium heat

5 - Once the onions and mushrooms have softened add the baby sprouts and peas heat for a further 5 minutes

6 - Add the drained cooked rice to the pan and thoroughly mix

7 - Dissolve the stock cubes in 100mls of boiling water and pour over the rice and mix into the rice and vegetables


This meal is not just healthy and a great way to add more vegetables into the diet but it is also a delicious meal. As said before the vegetables can easily be changed according to taste and season.

There were clean plates all round and even Taylor wanted to eat some more while I was taking pictures!


Enjoy x

I am sharing my recipe with A Mummy Too - Recipe of the Week

Link up your recipe of the week

1 comment:

  1. They look very delicious! I have not try to cook Risotto yet. One of the day I must take it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x