Wednesday 19 March 2014

Cheap Budget Meals - Full of Veg Cottage Pie

This is a family favourite of ours!

As well as a good value meal to make it is also a great way to get more vegetables into the children.

Again, I have used meat that was bought from the market.

I have listed the vegetables that I use to make this delicious, healthy meal, but you can add your vegetables according to taste or to what you need to use. This dish is a great way to use up any vegetables that may be getting past their best. So don't throw them away, they go well in a dish like this!

Here is this weeks cheap budget meal recipe...

Full of Veg Cottage Pie

Ingredients

300g lean mince beef (£1.50)
1 red onion, chopped (19p)
100g mushrooms, chopped (40p)
1 broccoli (49p)
2 carrots, halved and sliced (16p)
3 cabbage leaves, shredded (80p - whole cabbage)  
1/2 swede, chopped (50p)
700g white potatoes, chopped (45p)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes (34p)
600mls beef stock
Worcestershire sauce
1tspn sage
2 bay leaves
Gravy granules
Cheese, grated (optional)
Milk
Butter


Method

1 - Dry fry the beef with the onions until starting to brown

2 - Add the mushrooms and fry until the onions and mushrooms are soft

3 - Pour in the chopped tomatoes then add the carrots, broccoli, cabbage, beef stock, sage and bay leaves

4 - Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are thoroughly cooked


5 - While the meat sauce is cooking place the potatoes and swede in a pan of water and bring to the boil, leave to simmer until both are soft

6 - Sprinkle into the meat some gravy granules until the sauce thickens

7 - Place the meat and vegetable sauce into a deep oven proof dish

8 - Mash the potatoes and swede and add milk and butter

9 - Spoon on the potato and swede mash on top of the mince and cover with grated cheese if using

10 - Place under a grill until the cheese has melted and browned off. I the dish has been made in advance place the dish in a pre heated oven of 200C of 15 - 20 minutes

This meal is a winner every time and contain plenty of vegetables.

I got 3 large portions and 2 small portions for the twins and still have leftovers. If you do not use all of the meat and vegetable sauce it can be frozen for another time or even used to make a pie the following day. With our leftovers Joseph has asked if I can keep it for his meal today and the twins will also be enjoying this meal again.

That another large portion and 2 more small portions!

That's a total of 6 servings! (counting the twins serving as 1)

This meal cost me £4.83 to make as I used items out of my store cupboard. That is only 81p per serving and you will have a tasty meal using 8 vegetables (including the tomatoes!).

Enjoy x



 
 

26 comments:

  1. Well that looks tasty - I wonder what it would be like with just vegetables and no mince?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done a similar one but in a creamy sauce with vegetables and chestnuts which was delicious!

      Delete
  2. That looks really nice. We often have cottage pie in this house, not with as much veg as yours though. Have to give this a go next time. Thanks for sharing with #ThriftyThursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe, i never thought actually do to it myself well because i dont normally cook, but it is something we should try to do with my hubby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, love cottage pie! Padding it out with veggies is a great way to make it go further x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing a cleanse right now so I am trying to eat more vegetables than normal. This recipe looks like one that is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also a great way to use up the veg in your fridge that would otherwise go to waste :) Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious- really hearty and filling. I might make cottage pie this weekend now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love these meals and make them often , an actual fave of ours is sheperds pie with carrots, peas, beans ect but with a small sprinkle of chilli powder , even the kids love it x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It look so healthy and yummy! Great way to get five a day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like looong ingredients list, but once you look at it it doesn't really add up to much.
    Thank you for sharing.
    We might try it one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. That looks really tasty and a great way to get some extra veg down your children!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I haven't made a cottage pie in ages, really fancy one now!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cottage pie, one of my favourites. It's so comforting to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks lovely, we don't put much veg in ours but might start adding more. Looks yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks absolutely delicious! I think we may need to add this to our list of meals to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so healthy, pinning to remind me to make this for the OH next week. I love that it contains so many vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh thank you so much - I'm on the look out for cheap, easyish to prepare meals to try and get myself eating a bit healthier :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love a tasty cottage pie - have you tried adding leeks and cheese on the top with the potatoes, it makes it really crispy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks super delicious! I've made shepherds pie the other day - a big hit on our table!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that looks fab, we LOVE the melted cheese on top of cottage pie :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. We love cottage pie - it's great to freeze if there's leftovers although there rarely is in our house lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious, we love packing out cottage pie with veg to make it go further and I have recently become a big fan of pearl barley for adding a filling to casseroles and cottage pie. A friend of mine has also suggested adding a couple of tablespoons of oats as this bulks out a meal very cheaply and makes the gravy early creamy and thick.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic, I always bulk out meals with veg this way. It makes the food go further and it also tastes delicious and makes me feel good as I know my family are eating lots of good nutritious and healthy food.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x