Friday 14 March 2014

Rye and Caraway Bread

If you regularly read my blog you will know that I love to bake bread!
 
I recently treated my self to a new toy. A Lekue silicone container to bake bread in!
 
As I had a new toy, I had to try baking a new bread, or two.
 
I have made this soft, tasty, continental style loaf. That will certainly become a family favourite!
 
This is how what I did...
 
Rye and Caraway Loaf
 
Ingredients
 
250g strong white flour
250g rye flour
10g yeast
8g salt
1tsp caraway seeds
2tbsp olive oil
300g warm water
 
Method
 
1 - Mix together the strong white flour and the rye flour together in a large mixing bowl
 
2 - Add the salt and caraway to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other
 
3 - Add the olive oil and three quarters of the water and start to mix together
 
4 - Gradually add the remaining water until you have a manageable dough
 
5 - Knead the dough for between 5 - 10 minutes until you have a smooth dough with elasticity
 
6 - Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to prove for about an hour or until the dough has at least doubled in size
 
7 - place the dough on a lightly oiled work top and knock out the air and shape into a round loaf
 
8 - Place on a baking tray or Lekue silicone holder, cover and leave to prove for a further hour
 
9 - Pre heat the oven to 200C
 
10 - Once the dough has doubled in size place in the pre heated oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until a golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the base
 
The caraway gives this loaf a real taste of the continent. It is delicious when still slightly warm with butter and makes a delicious sandwich when cold!
Enjoy x
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Yum I love making bread, a soft loaf appeals and caraway has such a good flavour. Oh how did the container bear up. Was it good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to try making bread- but I am scared, it always seems like a lot of processes! The end result looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds amazing. I love homemade bread. I'm not very good at cooking or anything so never heard of, caraway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen those silicone holders - they look really good. Silicone is a devil to clean though, it seems to hang on to the surface of the food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious and pretty easy to make. I've never made bread in the oven but you've made me think I could try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh looks tasty, I like Rye bread, may give it a try x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't like rye bread, but this looks like a easy recipe so i can appreciate it for that :) looks good too! love when bread is fresh with a bit of butter ...mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious, might have to try making a loaf next week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never baked bread before but this looks great! I may have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Hubs loves Rye bread with corned beef. MMMMMmmm you are making me hungry just looking at your bread. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks fabulous. I keep meaning to try baking bread again as essentially it looks pretty easy. I had a breadmaker for a while but I din't really get on with it. Must try proper bread! #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this sounds lovely, I love bread but don't make it very often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I LOVE rye bread - I'm so rubbish at making bread though!

    I recently posted: St. Patrick's Day Subway Art Poster Printable

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will enjoy trying this. I am not a fan of 'normal' bread as it daoesn't taste of anything, so this looks right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love baking bread as it makes the whole house smell wonderful.
    This looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have been baking our own bread recently. I must try your recipe out and look for some caraway seeds when we next go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love bread , trying to cut down on it at the min .x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bake bread most days and our breakfast loaf has rye in it, it's good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We've just started making our own bread - it's so tasty fresh from the oven x x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooooooo that sounds delicious. I love bread, in fact bread is my failing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x