Monday 17 March 2014

Guinness and Chocolate St Patrick's Day Cake

As it is St Patrick's day and it is one of my favourite cakes I decided to bake a Guinness and Chocolate cake at the weekend.
 
This is deliciously moist cake that is a winner all round.
 
This is what I did...
 
Guinness and Chocolate Cake
 
Ingredients
 
Cake
 
225mls Guinness or stout
200g self raising flour
50g cocoa powder
50g dark chocolate
150g butter or baking spread
300g light brown soft sugar
1/2tsp vanilla paste
1/2tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs
 
Topping
 
125g butter, softened
150g soft cream cheese
150g icing sugar
3tbsp whisky
 
Method
 
Pre heat the oven to 150C fan
 
1 - Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar
 
2 - Place a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water and melt the dark chocolate as it begins to melt add in the butter or spread and melt them both together
 
3 - Once melted add to the dry ingredients
 
4 - Add the eggs and mix well to combine all of the ingredients
 
5 - Gradually add the Guinness or stout to the mix
 
6 - Line and grease a cake tin and pour in the cake mixture
 
7 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for an hour
 
8 - Once thoroughly baked leave to cool in the tin for 15 - 20 minutes before removing and allowing to completely cool on a cooling rack
 
9 - To make the topping mix together the butter and cream cheese until soft
 
10 - Gradually add the icing sugar
 
11 - Mix in the whisky a tablespoon at a time
 
12 - Spoon on the topping and spread out evenly on the top of the cake and serve.
 
The darkness of the cake and the cream of the topping should resemble and good old glass of Guinness!
 
Happy St Patrick's Day and enjoy x

 
I am sharing this post with A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week check out all of the delicious recipes that have been shared!
 
Link up your recipe of the week
 
I am also sharing with Honest Mums Tasty Tuesdays, head on over and check out the delicious looking Family Favourite Pasta wth Prawns and Feta and other recipes on Tasty Tuesdays
 
 
I am also sharing with Casa Costello's Bake of the Week take a look at the delicious looking St Patrick's cake!
 

Casa Costello

25 comments:

  1. Oooh wow this looks yummy! I have a father in law who would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh there are a couple of cafes nearby that serve this cake - I'd made a mental note to get hold of a recipe, as it's delicious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious; I will definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you're making me feel hungry! A colleague of mine at my last job made one if these and brought it into work one day and it was scrummy! #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh that sounds delicious = rich and moist too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubs would love this cake - thanks for sharing - it looks delish!

    I recently posted: Four Corners of the World: Animal Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks delicious. I would never have thought to put Guinness in a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooooooo, that looks yummy, have seen this cake in Brighton but never tried it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate. Guiness. Whisky. Three of my favourite things!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a massive fan of chocolate cake (I know shocker!) but this does look lush x

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum yum! chocolate and guiness = delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, that looks scrumptious! Definitely one to be bookmarked. Adding to my pinterest board :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes please! Looks and sounds amazing. Bookmarking this to try out. I sometimes bake a cake for OH to take into work so this one would be very much appreciated I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. FEEEEED ME! This recipe taps in on two of my fave ingredients and its cake - what's not to LOVE!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Dad would really enjoy this one! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh that looks and sounds like perhaps the most perfect cake! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would never have though of putting Guiness and chocolate together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, amazing! Love this and will be making it! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, that sounds unusual but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds gorgeous off to scour the shops for Guinness and vanilla paste.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh that looks delicious! Can't beat a recipe that includes whisky as an ingredient! Thanks for entering Bakeoftheweek, a new link is now open for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds lovely - I haven't tried whisky frosting but it sounds wonderful! Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned and tweeted this post and hope to see you linking up again soon! :D x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x