Monday 3 March 2014

Pancake Day / Shrove Tuesday Recipe and Ideas

It is Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Day!
After accidentally forgetting pancake day one year my hubby will not let me forget again!
This year I am well and truly ready for tomorrow.
I thought I would share with you my simple pancake recipe that I use (I have been using it for so long I cannot remember where it originally came from!) and a couple of ideas how you could enjoy your pancakes.

Basic Pancake Recipe

Ingredients

Makes approx 8 pancakes

140g plain flour, or for wholemeal pancakes 70g plain flour, 70g wholemeal flour
20g butter, melted, plus extra for frying
2 eggs, beaten
350mls milk

Method

1 - Place the flour in a bowl and make a well in the middle

2 - Mix together the beaten eggs, milk and melted butter

3 - Gradually add to the flour and whisk until you have a smooth batter

4 - Melt a little butter in a frying pan and add a ladle of the batter to the hot pan

5 - Fry for a couple of minutes on each side

6 - Keep on a warm plate covered in foil to keep them warm until you are ready to serve

They are that quick and easy.
The exciting part is next.
Deciding what to put on your pancake!
This is how we enjoy our pancakes.

Savoury Pancakes

I have tried a couple of different savoury versions.
When I make savoury pancakes I make the batter with the added wholemeal.
Our favourite savoury pancakes have to be the tuna melts.

Tuna Melt Wholemeal Pancakes

Ingredients

Pancakes
Tin of tuna
Mature cheddar cheese, grated

Method

1 - Add the batter to the frying pan

2 - Flip your pancake and spoon on some flaked tuna and grated mature cheddar cheese

3 - Fold in half and cook for a couple of minutes on one half then turn and do the same on the other half.

Then enjoy your tuna melt pancake!


Sweet Pancakes

This is our favourite way to enjoy pancakes!
The sweet way!
No doubt the hubby and Joseph will enjoy their pancakes with lemon and sugar.
However I am going to also make them some with lemon juice then drizzled with honey.
I will be enjoying mine with orange and passion fruit.

Orange and Passion Fruit Pancakes

Ingredients

Pancakes
Oranges
Passion Fruit Curd (I used Mrs Darlington's)

Method

1 - Make your pancakes.

2 - Peel an orange and split into segments.

3 - Place the segments down the centre and wrap the pancake.

4 - Spread the passion fruit curd over the top and enjoy!



I don't give the twins anything that is too sweet but I still want them to enjoy pancake day. So for them I came up with a toddler friendly pancake!

Creamy Pancakes

Ingredients

Pancakes
Fromage Frais (I used the twins favourite pots of fromage frais)

Method

1 - Take a pancake and spoon on a thin layer of fromage frais.

2 - Roll the pancake up and slice into bite sized pieces and let them enjoy!

The small pieces are perfect for little hand and the added fromage frais gives them the creamy taste which they will love!

 
I hope these have given you a couple of yummy ideas for Pancake day. However you decide to have your pancakes I am sure they will go down a treat!
Enjoy x
 
I am sharing these ideas and recipes with Honest Mums Tasty Tuesdays. Check out Papa G's Perfect Pancake at Honest Mum Tasty Tuesdays
 

29 comments:

  1. I'd better not let my 4yo boys see me reading this - they've been obsessed with pancake day for the past two weeks. We've been doing a daily countdown for it ("how many more sleeps, mummy" Every. Single. Morning). I hadn't thought of putting fromage frais on them - I'll try that tomorrow for E as she'll love picking up little rounds of pancake like that. I'd rather not give her the gooey ice cream/chocolate sauce versions we'll no doubt be having (cruel mummy)! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope E enjoys them, its great that they can join in without all the sweet treats :-)

      Delete
  2. Orange and passion fruit how sophisticated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love passion fruit, so really want to add them!

      Delete
  3. oooh i like the sound of the tuna melt pancake Kirsty i have not tried a tuna in a pancake before. and the orange and passionfruit one looks so pretty. i will add these and thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for using :-) the orange and passion fruit is sooo yummy x

      Delete
  4. I love pancakes! Not only on Pancake Day ;-) Lovely idea to mix it with tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of ideas! We had Scotch pancakes this morning x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow they all looks amazing and love the idea of orange and passion fruit, wow! What a fab alternative to lemon and sugar with still keeping the citrus! Love it! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  7. My lot are very excited about pancake day! I love the idea of savoury ones- a bit of goodness before the sugary ones arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of goodness before the treats! My eldest would just have sweet ones if I let him :-)

      Delete
  8. Forgot Pancake Day? Forgot? How can you forget a day in which pancakes are mandatory and guilt free? ;)
    I love my pancakes sweet, and full of maple syrup, but have to say the orange & passion fruit ones sounds interesting to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did forget the year the twins were born but I had a good excuse, I was in hospital so technically I can't be blamed :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, SO MANY ideas! I literally have no idea how I'm going to choose tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like savory pancakes, especially with ham and a lot of melted cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had pancakes today, I tried an American style recipe which was a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great pancake ideas here! Mustn't forget to make them tonight - I'm terrible - I always forget!!

    I recently posted: A February Walk in Bedford's Country Park

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love savoury pancakes! Wish I'd seen this before I'd made dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum yum yum. I love pancakes and these look scrumptious. Especially like the sound of the orange curd one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These pancakes sound delicious. I particularly think I'd like the orange-passion fruit one. I'd also have to try the creamy pancakes, cause I can't imagine what frommage fraiche would taste like on a pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum. I got hijacked by teenagers... having thought I was done with the pancakes at tea time. Seems you are never too old for pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had our pancake fill last night too. I do like the traditional lemon and syrup #TastyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cheated *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tuna melt sounds delicious, I'll have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We missed pancake day so will be doing a do-over on sun, when we're all at home x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, orange and passion fruit pancakes - yum! I'll add that one to my list :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x