Monday 31 March 2014

Pizza Inspired Bread Rolls

When I was making my dough last week I decided to try a different kind of roll for everyones lunches.
 
I don't know about you, but I often find hat I am making the same old rolls or sandwiches for the hubby and Joseph's packed lunches.
 
Baking my own bread gives me the chance to try something a little bit different.
 
This is what I came up with...
 
Pizza Inspired Bread Rolls
 
Ingredients
 
400g strong white bread flour
7g fast acting yeast
5g salt
30mls olive oil
250mls warm water
Tomato puree
Mature cheddar cheese, grated
Cold cooked meats, I used chicken and ham
Dried oregano
 
Method
 
1 - Place the flour in a large mixing bowl
 
2 - Place the yeast on one side of the bowl and the salt and oil on the other side, ensuring the yeast doesn't come into contact with the salt!
 
3 - Add three quarters of the water and begin to mix with either your hand or with an electric mixer with a dough hook
 
4 - As the dough comes together gradually add the left over water a little at a time until the dough has come together and has cleaned the sides of the bowl, you may not need all of the water!
 
5 - Knead the dough for about 5 - 10 minutes until it had a soft, elasticated texture
 
6 - Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to prove for about an hour or until doubled in size
 
7 - Pre heat the oven to 180C
 
8 - Once the dough has proved, remove from the bowl and knead again to knock out any air
 
9 - Lightly flour the work top and using a floured rolling pin flatten the dough into a rectangular shape
 
10 - Tack down to the work top the edge closest to you by sticking it to the top, this will make rolling the dough easier
 
11 - Spread over the dough as much or as little tomato puree as you like, leaving a line of plain dough on the edge closest to you, this will be the join
 
12 - Sprinkle over some dried oregano, again you can add as much or as little as you like depending on taste
 
13 - Spread over the grated cheese and scatter bits of the cold meat, I sprinkled one half with chicken and the other half with ham
 
14 - Roll the dough towards you so that you have a sausage shape, using the edge of plain dough to seal
 
15 - Roll the dough so that the join is on the bottom and taking a sharp knife cut into pieces which are approximately 3cms thick
 
 
16 - Place the pieces side down on a lined baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned
 
These rolls are both delicious warm or cold the next day. The soft bread combined with the baked cheese and tomato flavours go together perfectly.
Enjoy x
 
 


10 comments:

  1. looking good and scrummy i bet they were all scoffed up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look yummy, easy to make and very healthy - we love home made pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gonna lie - they look lush! I'm rubbish at making bread, but I could cheat and buy some ready made dough...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely. Sadly not something I could bake here as too many allergens but I'm wondering if I could adapt the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought of that. My hubby would love these x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy! I am keen to make my own bread and I'd love to try this - bet they tasted lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh yum, those rolls look really good. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! These look really delicious and perfect for picnics too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x