Tuesday 17 February 2015

United Arab Emirates Cricket Team Inspired Falafel Burgers

Coming from a family who love cricket I have grown up watching my mum and dad watching intensely at matches and cheering England on. Growing up in this environment I have a basic knowledge of cricket and have to admit I do enjoy watching the international matches.

So when Betfair challenged me to create a Cricket World Cup inspired recipe I jumped at the chance.

When it came to selecting a team as inspiration I researched the cuisine from each of the nations. If I had chosen England a menu of afternoon tea would have been the perfect choice, or a curry from India, or a traditional Aussie barbecue. However I wanted a meal that would be more of a challenge. I wanted to cook a dish that would allow my family to try a different style of cuisine.

That is why I selected the United Arab Emirates.

After researching and considering different dishes I finally settled on Falafels. They are an ideal way to introduce new flavours and textures to the family. The children will particularly love the finger food parcels.

This is what I did...


Falafel Burgers

Ingredients makes approx 10 burgers

400g tin of chickpeas, drained
400g tin of mixed beans, drained
4 shallots, finely chopped
1tsp dried coriander leaves
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
1/2tsp chilli powder
1tbsp plain flour
Black pepper to season
2tbsp vegetable oil
Pitta breads, salad and tomato salsa to serve

Method

1 - Place the dried coriander leave and cumin seeds in a pestle and mortar and ground together

2 - Add the turmeric, cayenne pepper and chilli powder and mix the spices together

3 - Place the drained chickpeas and mixed beans in a food processor along with the shallots, spices and flour, blitz until you have a thick paste like consistency

4 - Heat the oil in a large frying pan

5 - Make the burgers by creating balls with the falafel mixture and flatten into a patty and season lightly with black pepper

6 - Once the oil is hot place the falafel burgers in the pan and cook over a medium to high heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until they are a golden brown

7 - Serve immediately in toasted pittas with lettuce and tomato salsa



Falafel burgers make a delicious Arabic meal. They are not only quick and easy to make but also a great budget meal! If you have any fussy ones who will not like or try the vegetarian version you can simply exchange the chickpeas and mixed beans for lean minced beef to create falafel inspired beef burgers! I made these on the oven top but I will definitely be making them in the summer to put on the barbecue!

Which nation is your favourite to win the ICC Cricket World Cup this year? Will you stay loyal to your nation or are your bets on a nation further afield to win?

Disclosure: I was asked by Betfair to take part in the Cricket World Cup Recipe challenge.

I am sharing my recipe with Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesdays.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

2 comments:

  1. These look nice. I have heard of falfals but never tried them. I wasn't as exotic, I did a Scottish recipe for mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are just gorgeous looking, I love falafels! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x