Tuesday 31 May 2016

Pulled Pork with Aldi

Pulled pork has to be one of the best summer meals. I know that usually pulled pork is smothered in a sweet barbecue sauce. But not in our house. Only our eldest likes the full on barbecue sauce. So here our pulled pork is sauce free but filled with herbs and spices.

Whilst shopping at Aldi I found some fantastic herb grinders that do all the work for you. Each grinder contains a perfectly balanced amount of flavours that marry together perfectly when cooked. For today's pulled pork recipe I decided to try the garlic, herb and tomato seasoning grinder.


Pulled pork is not only a really tasty meal but is also great budget meal. The piece of pork shoulder that I bought weighed 1.562kg and cost just £3.83! Out of this piece of meat, once cooked, I got the pulled pork main meal that I am telling you about today, some meat for a pork salad for the hubby and I the following day and even a second main the following day. That is an amazing 12 meals out of 1 piece of meat! That is a budgeting 32p per meal for the meat.

This week I am going to tell you how to prepare the pork shoulder for pulled pork. Then next week I am going to share with you a delicious way to use the leftovers the following day.

This is what I did...

Garlic, Tomato and Herb Pulled Pork

Ingredients

1 pork shoulder joint
Stonemill garlic, tomato and herb grinder
1 tbsp olive oil

Method

1 - Pre heat the oven to 200C

2 - To prepare the meat rub the olive oil all over the meat, paying extra attention to the meat with no skin covering it

3 - Grind over a generous amount of the garlic, tomato and herb mixture and using your hands rub thoroughly onto the meat

4 - Grind over some extra and place the joint in a casserole dish with a lid

5 - Place in the oven uncovered for 20 minutes

6 - After 20 minutes turn the oven down to 150C and place the lid on the dish

7 - Return the joint to the oven and cook for a further 4 hours

8 - Once thoroughly cooked remove the skin from the joint and using two forks shred the meat and serve


My favourite way to serve pulled pork has to be with fresh bread rolls, salad, coleslaw and potatoes. But as it is so versatile you can enjoy with chips and the meat in a pitta bread like a kebab or with a jacket potato and salad. Anyway you like!


Slow cooking this cheap joint of meat certainly transforms it into a tasty meal. Best of all from one joint you get a lot of meat which means more meals!

Keep an eye out for next weeks recipe telling you my favourite way to use up leftover pulled pork.

Enjoy x

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks and sounds delicious and what a bargain!! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love meals that create more than one meal (if that makes sense!). This looks really delicious, your family are very lucky! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x