Friday 20 May 2016

#PowerofFrozen Beef and Bean Cabbage Parcels

Back in March I wrote my first post about Iceland and their #PowerofFrozen campaign. Today I am back with another recipe using products from Iceland. Today's recipe is all about convenience. I don't know about you but I often forget to take meat out of the freezer in time to cook. When this happens everything gets turned upside down. As you probably know I write a weekly meal plan, I like to have the organisation at meal time and have it all pre planned. 

Having products in the freezer that can be cooked from frozen really are a necessity in our busy lives. As organised as we can be, there are times when life simply takes over and things get forgotten. Today's recipe is perfect for both a mid week meal or to impress some dinner guests. Today's meal is made using British butchers quality minced beef that can actually be cooked from frozen! I have paired it with frozen vegetables that can also be cooked from frozen. How convenient is that!

Not only is this a convenient meal but it is also a great money saving meal. After I have told you how to make this delicious dish I will tell you the costings!

This is what I did...

#PowerofFrozen Beef and Bean Cabbage Parcels

Ingredients

Salt and Pepper to season
150 mls water

Method

1 - Heat a large frying pan or saute pan then add the frozen mince and frozen onions to the pan

2 - Cook, over a medium heat, stirring regularly until the mince is browned off

3 - Add the pea and four bean medley with mint butter to the pan and stir fry for 6 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste

4 - While that is cooking bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the cabbage leave in the boiling water for just 2 minutes, remove, rinse in cold water, dry with kitchen paper and leave on one side

5 - Remove the mince and beans from the heat ready to prepare the parcels


6 - Spoon some of the beef and bean mixture and place in the centre of the cabbage leaf


7 - To prepare the parcel fold up the sides of the cabbage leaf


8 - Bring up the base of the leaf


9 - Then roll over to create a parcel


10 - Make the remaining parcels leaving the leftover beef and beans in the pan

11 - Add the tin of tomatoes to the remaining beef and beans


12 - Place the parcels on top of the beef and beans sauce and return to the heat


13 - Place the mashed potato in a microwavable bowl, cover with cling film, pierce and cook for 15 minutes

14 - Place a lid on the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes

15 - After 5 minutes add the water, return the lid and continue to cook for 5 minutes

Once everything is cooked place the mash in the centre of a plate, add a little of the beef and beans sauce and top with a cabbage parcel.


Before I served this to the children I cut the parcel up, this hid the cabbage and it was eaten with no questions!

The pea and four beans in mint butter are a delicious addition that adds a lot of flavour to the dish. Having ingredients that can be cooked from frozen has certainly made life easier. Frozen food does not mean that quality is lost. The mince that I have used is British beef and is a butchers quality. It was delicious and full of flavour.


With regard to the price this meal cost just £9.50 and I still have enough meat and onions left for another meal! So not only is this meal convenient and easy but also fits well within budget!


For more ideas and recipes check out Iceland's Recipe Cards.

Enjoy x


Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.

CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

30 comments:

  1. I love cabbage, especially when it's stuffed - reminds me of Asian cooking! It's great that is so convenient; just what you want when you are restricted for time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit to not being much of a cabbage fan when it is on its own but stuffed or with a sauce it is lovely x

      Delete
  2. Mince can cook from frozen sounds great, I've only done that with quorn before. Convenience is always important in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here I have relied on Quorn in the past for emergencies but now I know that Iceland have a butchers quality lean steak beef that can be cooked from frozen I will always have a bag in the freezer! x

      Delete
  3. Yum what a delicious meal you've rustled up from the freezer. I will have to check out the mince and other frozen ingredients, they'd be great for our busy household too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do save the day when life takes over x

      Delete
  4. I love what you've done with the cabbage - although I'd have a hard time sneaking that past my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that if I chopped the parcel up before serving it to the children they were non the wiser! x

      Delete
  5. A very interesting recipe, I keep seeing a lot lately cabbage using it a wrap in a meal. I should show this to my hubby as he like cabbage more then me. xx

    www.annanuttall.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great way to eat more cabbage, even people who are not keen on cabbage will like this! The meat and beans add so much flavour x

      Delete
  6. I'm consistently impressed by the quality of Iceland's products. Obviously they aren't premium quality, but for the price you pay they really are excellent. Now, your cabbage parcels look lovely - and I've been looking for a simple recipe, which yours is the best I have found yet. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quality of food at Iceland has improved a lot. I was pleasantly surprised after my first visit. I hope you enjoy it if you make it, you'll have to let me know how you get on! x

      Delete
  7. I love cabbage and this looks really yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it to be a great way to use cabbage which I often find to be a bit boring x

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos, love cabbage and this looks really easy to make too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really is a lot easier than you would expect x

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous recipe, would never have thought of using cabbage in this way. I have a chest freezer and stock up at Iceland once a month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes life so much easier having foods that can be cooked from frozen, especially for days when I forget to take something out to defrost! x

      Delete
  10. Great recipe, I haven't been to Iceland for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't until recently and I was really surprised by the wide range of foods that they stock. Definitely worth a visit! x

      Delete
  11. These look great I love shopping in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic idea, I love the cabbage part, though I am a big fan of the entire content of ingredients x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I found it a great way to get the kids to eat cabbage too x

      Delete
  13. This looks so good - and the value for money is brilliant! Iceland are great :) Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good value meal but also a good quality one x

      Delete
  14. Love that this dish sounds so convienient to make. Yum! Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect for the times when you need a meal without worrying about defrosting ingredients x

      Delete
  15. Love these and they remind me a little of dolmathes which are wrapped in vineleaves. We adore cabbage here and your recipe looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have never tried stuffed cabbage leaves but yours look really tasty. that you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x