Friday 25 November 2016

Carrot Cake Porridge

Since starting Slimming World six weeks ago breakfasts have become a meal that I look forward to. In the past I have, more often than not, skipped breakfast. This often leads to snacking. Breakfast is often known as the most important meal of the day as it gets your metabolism going and sets you up for the day.

Breakfasts do not need to be boring they can be easily transformed into something quite special. My favourite breakfast food has to be porridge oats. They are such a versatile ingredient that can be revamped into so many different flavours and accompanied with endless additional ingredients.

I recently shared my Fruit Layered Porridge Breakfast Bowl which has been a favourite of mine. That was until I tried today's porridge. While I was at my Slimming World group last week someone mentioned a carrot cake porridge bake. This certainly got my attention as carrot cake has to be my favourite cake. So when I got home I looked at my favourite carrot cake recipe, noted the ingredients and got planning as to how I could transfer the flavours into a porridge.

This is what I did..

Carrot Cake Porridge

Ingredients - per serving

40g porridge oats
250mls milk
1/2 tbsp golden syrup
14g raisins
50g carrot, grated
1/4tsp ground cinnamon
1/4tsp ground nutmeg
Zest of 1 orange
1 apple, chopped


Method

1 - Place the porridge oats, milk and carrot in a pan and place over a medium heat

2 - Gently bring to the boil and add the golden syrup, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly

3 - Take the pan from the heat, stir in the chopped apple and spoon into a bowl


This porridge is so easy to make and by using a carrot cake recipe I have been able to recreate the flavours that I love into a breakfast treat.


If you are following the Slimming World plan this bowl of deliciousness will cost you just 3.5 syns, 1 syn for the golden syrup and 2.5 syns for the raisins, and will consist of your health extras. After trying and loving this as a breakfast I am definitely going to be having a go at baking them and adding an egg as it will give it more of a pudding consistency.

Do you love breakfast? What are you favourite morning dishes?

Pin me for later!


Enjoy x

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I make carrot cake Bircher muesli sometimes but this would be better suited to this time of year X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x