Wednesday 16 November 2016

Peachy Giant Couscous Salad with Del Monte

We all love fruit. It is the one food which the children have free run of. We keep the fresh fruit in baskets in the fridge so that it is easily accessible. This is great for their health but the amount of times I have gone to the fridge for some fruit to find that the kids have eaten it all are endless. That is why we always keep some tins of fruit in the cupboard. So when Del Monte asked me if I would like to create an easy recipe using some of their fruit I could not wait to get started.


To get my ideas flowing they sent me a lovely hamper full of Del Monte goodies.  The hamper included some of their new kids Squeezie pouches. As soon as the children saw the Minnie and Mickey design they could not wait to try them. The pouches are 100% fruit based and are aimed at children aged 3 - 9 years old but even my 12 year old wanted to try them! The children got to try two of the new flavours, apple and mango and apple, strawberry and blueberry. Both flavours were a huge success and we will definitely be keeping an eye out for them on our next shopping trip. They are perfect to pop in the bag for days out or for the children's lunch box.


For today's recipe I have used some of Del Monte's tinned fruit. Did you know that tinned fruit can be more nutritious than fresh fruit? This is because the fruit is picked when it is fully ripe and is processed immediately. This locks in the goodness that can deteriorate over time. A recent study actually found that when they compared fresh, frozen and canned foods the nutrients were surprisingly similar. Plus when the fruit is kept in a can it has a longer shelf life. Inevitably this reduces food waste and saves us valuable money!

This recipe is a deliciously healthy salad recipe that contains fresh vegetables, chicken and the star of the dish, Del Monte peaches.

This is what I did..

Peachy Giant Couscous Salad

Ingredients

80g giant couscous
50g kale, stalk removed and chopped
25g rocket
100g chicken, chopped, I used leftover roast chicken
100g Del Monte peach halves in juice, chopped
6 mint leaves
Pomegranate seeds
Half lemon

Method

1 - Place the giant couscous and mint leaves in a pan of water and bring to the boil

2 - Simmer for 7 minutes, remove from the heat, drain and leave to cool

3 - Once the couscous has cooled add the chopped chicken, kale, rocket and the juice from half a lemon and mix thoroughly (I found it easier to mix it all together with my hands!)

4 - Mix in the chopped peaches and scatter over the pomegranate seeds


This salad is so easy to make but more importantly it is so tasty. The hubby who is not a huge salad fan loved it! The peaches add such a delicious sweetness to the salad and go perfectly with the sharpness from the rocket. As the couscous has been cooked with the mint leaves there is a fresh lingering hint of mint throughout the dish.


Say "Yes to the Best" and add more fruit to your dishes with Del Monte.

Pin me for later!

Enjoy x

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post. Del Monte supplied me with the products pictured and a voucher to cover the ingredients and to compensate me for my time. All words, views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum, what a delicious looking salad. I think the sweetness of the peaches would be just perfect and it's great to know about the freshness of tinned fruit. #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! That sounds gorgeous. Just my kind of thing!! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious and reminds me that I haven't had tinned peaches for years but they used to be a staple at home when I was growing up! It is great to know that the nutritional value of tinned fruit is not so different to fresh too and I also love the idea of keeping fruit where the children can get it easily. Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x