Thursday 10 November 2016

Living off the Grid

How many times have you looked around your house and looked at all of the electrical items that we constantly use? Not many times I bet, I know that we don’t. So when Flogas asked me what I would miss if I was to live off the grid it really did get me thinking about the things that we all take for granted. We all automatically turn on the hot taps and expect hot water, we all flick a switch for light and always go to the fridge for cold milk.
The foodie that I am, I would definitely miss my kitchen amenities. I would miss being able to go in the kitchen and put the kettle on for a drink or putting the oven on to bake and cook our meals. Having the electricity to keep food in the fridge and being able to freeze food to keep for longer. When you take a moment to think about how much we rely on having these creature comforts you realise how they are taken for granted.

One huge part of our modern lives revolve around the internet. Being online at the press of a button is something that our children are growing up to expect. The amount of times that the 4 year old twins have been alarmed how they have no WiFi in the car are uncountable. If we have a question we simply ask “Google”. Gone are the days when you had to sit and research from a book. I would definitely suffer a withdrawal from the online world. Being a blogger, being online is a massive part of my everyday life. The vast majority of my friends are “virtual friends”, they are scattered all over the country and the people that I class as my best friends are always at the end of a message. The way that we all interact is becoming more and more this way. Being in constant contact with people from all around the world is a world away from when I was growing up and we had the traditional pen pal friends.

As much as I depend upon everything electrical or gas powered I will admit to finding an attraction for living off the grid. I will be the first to admit that I could not do it on a full time basis, but I do love the idea of having an “off the grid” holiday. Not having the internet and basic amenities that we all expect to have could be an eye opening experience. It would give us all the chance to literally escape the everyday life and truly appreciate what we do have but to also truly appreciate the world and people that are with us.



Flogas recently conducted a survey to see what others thought about living off the grid. They spoke to 910 people and found that 85% of them had considered leaving the city and living off the grid! This is what else they found out...



Could you live off the grid? What would you miss the most?

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x