Wednesday 2 November 2016

Winter Kale Salad

At the moment we have got a lot of kale in the garden ready for harvesting. Kale is one vegetable that I think often gets over looked. We get bored of eating it the same way, steamed, so I am always looking for new ways to add this super food to our diets. Now that we have had our first frost I know that the kale will be even sweeter and perfect for salad!

One thing that kale is great for is as a salad. It has a firmer texture and fuller flavour than lettuce and, in my opinion, makes a more filling salad. Today's recipe contains 6 delicious vegetables and is jam packed with goodness. It is perfect as a lunch or goes great with a jacket potato.

This is what I did...

Winter Kale Salad

Ingredients - serve 2 - 3 as a main meal or 4 - 5 as a side dish

50g kale leaves, stalks removed
20g rocket
1 orange pepper, thinly sliced
2 salad tomatoes, chopped
4 radish, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 white cabbage leaves, shredded
1 lime, juiced
3 tbsp fat free vinaigrette 

Method

1 - Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl

2 - Mix all of the vegetables together, I find it easier to use my hands!

3 - Squeeze over the juice of one lime and pour over the fat free vinaigrette and mix thoroughly and serve. If you are making it in advance keep in the fridge until ready to eat


This salad is not only super healthy but is a real satisfyingly filling salad. I love seasonal vegetables and this is certainly a salad that can be enjoyed using one of my favourite winter vegetables.


Best of all, if you are following the Slimming World eating plan this is a syn free lunch and full of speed vegetables!

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Sharing with...

CookBlogShare
Charlotte's Lively Kitchen - #TheFoodCalendar

Cook Once Eat Twice



8 comments:

  1. I don't use kale enough! I often just put it in a soup or stew and find I buy a big bag and then half of it goes to waste. This is a lovely way of using it and it's nice to still eat salads even when the weather is a little colder. Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovley idea. It gives a great colour. I tend to have a lot of kale smoothies and today I made kale pancakes - mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! That looks so good, Kirsty. I am such a fan of kale and I really love it in salads...when I was doing the Sirtfood Diet earlier this year I got a bit fed up with my kale-rich Sirtfood green juice and so turned it into a salad instead...sooo much nicer. Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kale is my favourite leafy green, I am disappointed i did not grow any this year. I love this salad, may throw in some barley to make it for a working lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love kale, I really do! It was a staple on our permaculture farm, and in the 17th century cottager's garden I created at Holdenby House (kale was one of the main fresh foods that poorer people had access to during the hungry gap months). Unfortunately, it's not that common here in the Balkans, which baffles me, given how easy it is to grow, and how hardy it is. Instead, we have more cabbage than you can shake a stick at - most of which ends up as sauerkraut.

    Kale in a salad is lovely, and as you say, is so much more filling and flavoursome than lettuce. I massage mine before adding the rest of the veggies; not only does it make it really tender but it makes my hands lovely and soft too! I just de-stalk it, wet it, roll it up into cigar shapes, then roll it between my palms for a couple of minutes until it becomes flaccid. I suspect the leaves release some kind of skin-softening protein. Or something!

    My absolute favourite way to have kale though, is to sauté it in a little olive oil, and with loads of smashed garlic. Finish with freshly-ground black pepper, and voilà - perfection! If you eat cheese, chuck in a few cubes of taleggio just before the end of the cooking, so that it melts all over the leaves. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant simple salad. I've not tried growing my own kale before, another one to add to my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love kale in a salad; glad I have some that seems to be thriving despite some cooler temperatures lately. I also like to throw in a bit of preserved lemon in a salad like this - it adds a great salty/sour touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salad looks lovely, simple to make and so healthy! I need to eat more kale:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x