Wednesday 17 September 2014

Earl Grey Cake

The hubby has been asking me to make an Earl Grey cake for weeks now and I am pleased to say that I have finally made this delicious cake.

 I love the flavours that a good cup of earl grey provides and combining with the citrus flavour of cardamon this cake is perfect for afternoon tea.

This is what I did...


Earl Grey Cake

Ingredients

175g butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs at room temperature
175g self raising flour
5g Earl Grey tea leaves (2 tea bags)
Seeds of 5 cardamon pods, crushed
Icing sugar

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan

1 - Combine the flour, tea leaves and cardamon and leave on one side

2 - Mix together the butter and caster sugar until light and creamy

3 - Mix in the eggs one at a time with a little of the flour to prevent curdling

4 - Add the remaining flour and mix well until all of the ingredients are evenly combined together

5 - Pour the cake mixture into a prepared cake tin and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 40 minutes

6 - Once the cake is thoroughly baked leave in the tin for 10 minutes before removing from the tin and allowing to cool on a cooling rack


To finish sift over icing sugar and serve.


This cake has such a light texture with a lovely fragrant taste. It really is the perfect slice of cake for afternoon tea or at any time of day!


Enjoy x

I am sharing my recipe with:

Casa Costello - Bake of the Week
A Mummy Too - Recipe of the Week
Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesdays
Supergolden Bakes - #CookBlogShare
JibberJabberUK - Love Cake


Casa Costello
Link up your recipe of the week
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Love Cake logo

16 comments:

  1. Wow this is utterly stunning, adore your styling and photography, so, so pretty! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love tea cake! they taste so different and yummy! great look cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm Earl grey and cake combined, what more can I say! A great combo, I bet it tasted divine #Recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh very interesting this cake with Earl grey. It must be a very perfumed cake. Beautiful with a good cup of proper English tea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of this! Earl Grey is my favourite tea I think it would be gorgeous in a cake. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew that tea bags were so pretty?! Brilliant idea for a cake. Thanks for being such a great member of the #Bakeoftheweek gang - haven't forgotten about your pressie! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cardamon and this looks delicious but I don't like tea so I can't see myself trying this one out for me, however I have some tea-loving friends who would go mad for this!
    #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely cake and I love cardamon too, it gives cakes such a lovely flavour x

      Delete
  8. I love Earl Grey tea and start off each morning with a pot of it. What great flavours for a cake. Thanks for linking up this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of Earl Grey with Cardamom..... sounds exotic and aromatic! The sort of cake that (rightly) should be enjoyed with no extra dressing, with a good book and peace and quiet...... A rare event..... but we can all wish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x