Sunday 7 September 2014

Mini Pear Pies - Great Bloggers Bake Off 2014

This week I have decided to take on Paul Hollywood's technical challenge by making Mini Pear Pears.

However when I looked on line for his recipe, I could not find it. Therefore I have really gone into it blind! I have used a classic flaky pastry recipe from an old  Be-Ro book that my Nanna gave to me. I decided to use the flaky pastry recipe as opposed to the rough puff one as it was the most similar to the pastry that the Great British Bake Off contestants made.

This is how I got on...


Mini Pear Pies

Ingredients

8 - 10 Pears, depending on size, mine were small homegrown ones
250mls elderflower cordial
250mls water
1tbsp caster sugar
225g plain flour
Pinch of salt
87g lard, cubed
88g butter, cubed
100mls cold water (approx)
1 egg
Caster sugar

Method

1 - Prepare the pears by peeling and gently removing the core

2 - Bring the elderflower cordial, water and caster sugar to the boil

3 - Place the prepared pears into the boiling pan and reduce to a gentle boil for 20 minutes

4 - While the pears are poaching prepare the pastry by rubbing in 1 quarter of the fats into the flour and salt

5 - Once you have a breadcrumb consistency gradually add the water a little at a time until you have a rough dough

6 - Line the worktop with clingfilm to prevent sticking and roll out the pastry into a rectangular shape

7 - Add a layer of the fats with 1 quarter of the fats

8 - Fold the bottom third up and the top third down, turn 90 degrees and roll out again, repeat the folds, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 20 minutes

9 - Once the pears have finished poaching, remove from the pan and leave to cool

10 - Remove the pastry, add the third quarter of the fats and repeat the folding process in step 8

11 - Wrap in cling film and return to the fridge for 20 minutes

12 - Remove from the fridge and layer the final quarter of fats, fold, roll out, fold again and return to the fridge for a final 20 minutes

13 - Pre heat the oven to 180C fan

14 - Roll out the chilled pastry no thicker than 5mm and cut slices of pastry 1cm wide

15 - Take the pears and brush over some of the poaching syrup

16 - Starting at the bottom, gently wrap the pears with the pastry strips


17 - Brush with egg was and sprinkle with caster sugar

18 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 25 minutes


Serve when warm with a little cream.


As always I am joining in with The Great Bloggers Bake Off hosted by the lovely Jenny at Mummy Mishaps
GBBO badge (1)

I am also sharing with Super Golden Bakes #GBBO Bake Along


19 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job. And without a recipe, I'm amazed. These looked really tricky on the GBBO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they were fun to bake :-) they tasted delicious and I'll definitely be baking them again x

      Delete
  2. Honestly Kirsty, you have done a splendid job. Most definitely a worthy star baker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I really love these pears!! They are very original and well presented. A beautiful recipe indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsty i am so impressed - i thought these, while looking pretty, were such a faff to bother making BUT I am so impressed that you made your own rough puff and made better looking mini pear pies than some of the contestants did! wow
    thanks for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny :-) I really enjoyed baking them and will definitely be baking them again x

      Delete
  5. Very nice, especially without a recipe. If you're still interested, the recipe is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mini_pear_pies_77186

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) so there is a recipe! I'll have a look and see if I did them right x

      Delete
  6. They look amazing, you'd do so well on the Bake Off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Em :-) I did apply for this year and got an interview but obviously got no further :-( maybe next year! x

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you tried these and pulled them off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea and you make it look so easy - I must try them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were easier than they looked on the television x

      Delete
  9. Well done you for going into it blind! They look divine. #greatbloggersbakeoff2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they were yummy and I'll be making them again x

      Delete
  10. I must say I didn't see the point of this recipe at all - I think it was there to trip up the contestants and in that respect it succeeded! I am in awe of your bake! Thanks for linking to #GBBO Bake Along

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x