Thursday 22 January 2015

How Does Your Garden Grow? Week 3

This week has seen the preparation of the vegetable plot. Not only has the hubby got a plan for the year, a list of vegetables that we are going to grow and seeds ordered but he has braved the cold and has been hard at work preparing the beds. We now have deeper raised beds, the compost bins moved and even new area that is ready for some fruit trees.

Last year we did not have the opportunity to plan the vegetable patch. Everything was planted last minute. This year we are determined to do things differently. We want to grow more this year and as many varieties of vegetables that we are able to. We aim to be as self sufficient as we can throughout the year by growing and nurturing our vegetables. There is no greater satisfaction than watching the vegetables grow until they are ready to harvest, collecting fresh vegetables ready to cook and serve.

Elsewhere in the garden there are signs of new growth. Buds are becoming visible on so many plants. I love seeing everything come back to life as springtime arrives. We have found that many plants are ahead this year due to the mild end of last year. My parents even have daffodils that are in bloom!

This is how our garden has grown this week...




Patch ready for new fruit trees
Higher raised beds

Yay our chickens are laying again!
As always I am sharing how our garden has grown with the lovely Annie from Mammasaurus.

How Does Your Garden Grow

9 comments:

  1. Ooo the chickens are laying - nice!

    Last year we put in raised beds and planted very much at the last minute too. This year round there's no planning so far but I'm hoping to start to think about it all soon - so hard to motivate myself myself when it's so frosty and the ground is either soggy or hard with frost! I think the start of the daffodils will motivate me!

    Thanks ever so much for joining in again, loving that crunchy frosty leaves photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you are getting organised! I'm terrible in this week getting out into the garden to do proper jobs. I know I must start planting for the summer soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been busy - you're far more organised than me, I haven't even ordered my seeds yet! I agree about the sense of satisfaction you get from growing your own veg. Nothing beats homegrown :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so envious of the chickens! I'd love some. And the veg plot looks fab too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant how you're already planning ahead - makes me want to get organised!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww promising spring for you! #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those raised beds look great, we put a couple in at the allotment last year and I'm convinced it's the way forward, we'll definitely be adding more this year. Our soil is quite stony so a nice deep one will stop the carrots growing 3 or 4 legs each! You'll be planting before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh freshly laid eggs how fab - and I love that frosty leaf shot too #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your veg growing - there is nothing more satisfying that eating a meal that you grew. Glad your hens are laying again, mine too :) #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x