Monday 26 January 2015

The teapigs #MatchaChallenge

When I saw a request from teapigs for bloggers to take the two week Matcha Challenge I jumped at the chance. I was delighted to find out that I had been selected to take part!

To take part in the matcha challenge I was asked to drink matcha everyday for two weeks and see if I felt any changes at the end of the challenge. I was sent a teapigs Matcha Kit so that I had what I needed to get started. The kit contained:
  • 30g tin of Matcha
  • Electric hand held whisk
  • A shot glass
  • An information leaflet
  • Matcha badge
  • Spoon


If you are wondering what matcha is let me tell you what it is, and how it can benefit you.

Matcha is 100% natural, organic green tea leaves. It is like no other green tea, the leaves have been ground down into a fine powder. When you drink matcha you are drinking all of the goodness unlike with regular green tea where you only consume a portion of the goodness as the remaining nutrients are left in the bag and put in the bin. Matcha tea leaves are grown in Japan and are grown undercover for the final two weeks. This enables to plant to produce lots of chlorophyll which gives it the bright green "good stuff". Matcha is not new, it has been drunk in Japan for almost 900 years as part of their tea ceremony. It is also used by Buddhist monks as it keeps them alert, awake and focused during long periods of meditation.

Until recently all matcha was consumed in Japan, however it is now becoming more and more popular in the UK.

After researching matcha further on various websites I was amazed by the possible benefits from drinking this super green powder. They include:
  • Packed with Antioxidants including flavonoids which help protect our bodies against harmful free radicals such as pollution, UV rays, radiation and chemicals which can lead to cell damage.
  • Naturally detoxifies the body
  • Improves mood and increases concentration
  • Calms
  • Boosts metabolism which ultimately burns calories
  • Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
  • Contains the naturally occurring acid l-theanine which along with caffeine is a well know stimulant
Before Taking The #MatchaChallenge

If you are a regular Hijacked By Twins reader you will be aware that during the last 6 months I have struggled with depression and anxiety. This was one of the reasons I was so keen to try matcha. Having read that this super green drink can improve moods and calms I was excited and curious to see if it would work. Along with my depression came a lack of motivation which in turn resulted in a low mood. I was stuck in a vicious cycle.

During The #MatchaChallenge

I was amazed by how quickly I noticed the change in my mood. At first I wondered if it was purely a coincidence but my mood continued to lift. I became more motivated which in turn lifted my mood further. I recently cut out coffee and have longed for a drink to replace it and at last I found it! Matcha became part of my morning breakfast routine and I felt that it gave me a kick start to the day. In general I felt better in both my mood and my body.

How To Drink Matcha

There are many ways to drink and consume matcha. So far I have drunk it...

as a shot using hot water at 70C

as a latte with almond milk

as a cup of tea

even in my slimming shake

After The #MatchaChallenge

Once the Matcha Challenge had finished I decided to have a couple of matcha free days to see if I could really see a difference. After the first morning of having little energy I was straight back to drinking matcha. I have honestly noticed a change in how I am feeling both mentally and physically. I have the motivation for the day ahead. I feel that matcha has helped me over come my anxiety and has lifted my mood no end. I am me again! I have also noticed an improvement in my skin, I am more alert and certainly a lot less anxious. I will continue to drink matcha daily and am enjoying finding new ways to incorporate it into my diet further. Keep an eye out for more recipes using matcha!

For further information about matcha or to purchase matcha visit teapigs. Also during January 2015 teapigs are offering 20% off their matcha range when you use the discount code MATCHA15.

Disclosure: I was sent the teapigs matcha kit for the purpose of this post. No payment was received. All views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.

I am sharing with:

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Family Fever

9 comments:

  1. I love matcha! It is a very interesting flavour! Off to have a look now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review and great that it's made you feel better- what does it actually taste like? #TastyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it taste like a really strong green tea. However it is a taste that you get used to after the first few and as it is drunk as a shot you don't notice too much. But it is delicious with almond milk as a latte x

      Delete
  3. I have some matcha that I need to try out. Thanks for all the ideas! #TastyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep reading about this and wondering if it is worth trying, sounds like it is. Fab review x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow this sounds like a really fab challenge and i might have to do this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting even if I am not a fan of green tea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Need to drink more green tea! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x