Thursday 15 January 2015

Matcha Breakfast Cakes

I have just completed the teapigs #matchachallenge and have been amazed by how much better I feel in myself.

If you do not know what Matcha is I'll tell you.

Matcha is 100% natural, organic green tea leaves which have been ground down into a powder. Unlike other green teas where you throw away the leaves, with Matcha you are consuming all of the goodness.

As I have felt such a change during the two week #matchachallenge I decided I would try baking with Matcha to create a super healthy morning cake. These little green goodies are also gluten and dairy free which make them even more guilt free!

This is what I did...


Matcha Breakfast Cakes

Ingredients - makes approx 16 cakes

150g dairy free spread
150g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
150g gluten free self raising flour
1/8tsp zanthan gum
1/2 lemon, juiced
1tsp matcha
100g gluten free muesli buckwheat

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - When using dairy free spread I find that the all in one method works better so place the spread, sugar, eggs, flour, zanthan gum, matcha and the lemon juice in a bowl and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined. It is a lot easier and quicker to use an electric mixer!

2 - Finally add the muesli buckwheat and stir it in well

3 - Spoon the cake mixture into the bun cases

4 - Place the cakes in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until thoroughly baked

5 - Remove from the cakes from tin and allow to cool on a cooling rack


These little super green cakes are great as a mid morning snack along with a shot of Matcha tea. I will be writing a post about how I got on during the 2 weeks of the #matchachallenge so keep an eye out for it. The changes that I have noticed are amazing.


Enjoy x

I am sharing my recipe with the lovely Helen at Casa Costello - Bake of the Week

Casa Costello

6 comments:

  1. These look delish, I love the green colour! I've never tried matcha, you've inspired me to find some :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend trying it, I have noticed such an improvement in how I feel x

      Delete
  2. I remember this kind of tea. My dad used to drink it as he was very much into healthy eating and still is. It is a lovely and healthy and I have never thought of baking with it. Thank you for this interesting recipe! My dad would be interested too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, please let me know if you try baking them x

      Delete
  3. Baking with matcha is on my to-do list. Your cakes sounds fab. I am a bit worried my guys might not like the colour, so perhaps I could disguise it with chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to try it with chocolate but we are matcha mad here x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x