Thursday 29 January 2015

Nectarine Coconut Cake

Since I have started baking with gluten free flours I have become more and more curious about experimenting with different flours. A few weeks ago I found some coconut flour. The hubby and I love coconut so I bought it to try. However as I am still experimenting with alternative flours I needed to do some research before I got started.

Coconut flour bakes require a lot more liquid than with regular flours so I used extra eggs. As I used so many eggs I did not need to add the xanthan gum as the eggs not only add liquid but they also bind the ingredients together.

This is what I came up with...


Nectarine Coconut Cake

Ingredients

100g coconut flour
50g ground almonds
150g spread, softened
150g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
2 nectarines, sliced
1/2tsp vanilla paste
2tbsp clear honey
6 eggs

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan/400F/gas mark 6

1 - Mix together the spread and caster sugar until light and creamy

2 - Add the coconut flour, ground almonds, baking powder, vanilla paste, the eggs and mix well until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

3 - Add the honey and gently mix in

4 - Line and grease a cake tin and spoon in the cake mixture, it will be thicker than a regular cake mixture

5 - Layer the nectarine slices over the top of the cake mixture and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 45 minutes

6 - Once the cake is thoroughly baked leave to cool in the tin

Once the cake has cooled remove from the tin, slice and serve.


The coconut flour not only gives the cake extra flavour but also changes the texture of the cake. This really is a deliciously moist cake and the nectarine add a lovely tang.


Enjoy x

I am sharing this recipe with the lovely Helen from Casa Costello - Bake of the Week

Casa Costello

3 comments:

  1. It looks delicious and very exotic, love it! x #bakeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely favours Kirsty, it's great to experiment and your recipe looks a real success.��

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour of this cake is fantastic - I'm very tempted to go out and buy some nectarines now! Thanks so much for joining in and for sending the pic over. Roundup now open x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x