Tuesday 23 June 2015

Cake is Not Just for Fathers Day!

When I received an email asking me if I would like to bake a cake for fathers day my immediate reaction was "yes of course!". But after giving it some thought I decided that I would bake the cake, but it is not a cake for fathers day, as we can treat dads to cake at any time of year.

I do like Fathers day and Mothers day but I do feel that we should show our gratitude throughout the year. It doesn't have to be fathers or mothers day for us to say thank you, I love you and to show appreciation. This can be done at any time.

I decided to bake the cakes to say thank you to my hubby. At the weekend my wonderful hubby looked after the children while I was in London at the BritMums blogging conference. I wanted to say thank you for being so supportive. You are not only a great husband but you are also a great dad! Like most men my hubby loves to have a good cake and he is certainly not alone.

Silver Mushroom

Silver Mushroom asked 750 men what their favourite treat would be. Not surprisingly over 25% of them chose cake as their favourite. They were given the choice of flapjack, brownies, biscuits, muffin and cake. A good old slice of cake was the winner! It was also the winner over all of the age categories.


To celebrate the findings Silver Mushroom have got together with world renown chef Damian Trejo to create a cake recipe that no dad will resist! Damian Trejo has cooked for Barack Obama and the Dalai Lama and is currently the resident chef at Manhattan Grill in Canary Wharf which is notorious for the luxurious afternoon teas.

I have tried the recipe and this is how I got on...


Damian Trejo's Manhattan Double Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

175g self raising flour
2tsp cocoa powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g caster sugar
2 eggs
150mls sunflower oil
150mls semi skimmed milk
2tsp golden syrup (I used honey)
60g white chocolate for the topping

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder

2 - Add the caster sugar

3 - Warm the golden syrup in the microwave for 20 seconds

4 - Mix together the eggs, sunflower oil, semi skimmed milk and golden syrup

5 - Fold the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined

6 - Either pour the mixture into a prepared cake tin or divide between 12 cupcake cases

7 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 35 - 40 minutes if making the cake or 15 - 20 minutes if making the cupcakes

8 - Melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water and drizzle over the cake


These cakes are so deliciously light and moist. These are a great treat for anyone. So if you have someone you would like to say thank you to or simply want to treat a loved one, go on try these luxurious cakes!


Disclosure: I was sent the ingredients for the cake for the purpose of this post. No cash payment was received. All views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x