Thursday 1 October 2015

Veg Filled Macaroni Cheese

I love macaroni cheese, but now that I am back on the Slimming World eating plan I had to re think my recipe.

I try to add as much goodness into meals which are not the healthiest, not just for me, but for the whole family. So when it came to macaroni cheese it really was an easy one. I simply added some summer vegetables, changed the full fat soft cheese to Philadelphia lightest soft cheese (which is just 1 syn per 25g!) and changed the melted cheddar to a sprinkle of Parmesan.

This is what I did...

Veg Filled Macaroni Cheese - Serves 4 - 5

Ingredients

300g macaroni
1 onion, chopped
2 courgettes, quartered and sliced
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
12 cherry tomatoes, halved and quartered
1 x 180g tub Philadelphia lightest cream cheese
60mls milk
Parmesan cheese
Spray olive oil

Method

1 - Cook the macaroni as per instructions

2 - Spray a frying pan with enough olive oil to cover the base

3 - Gently fry the onions, garlic, courgettes and peppers over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly

4 - Add the chopped cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes

5 - Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and return to the pan

6 - Add the vegetables to the pan of macaroni and mix thoroughly

7 - In the frying pan add the soft cheese and melt over a low - medium heat and add the milk

8 - Pour the cheese mixture over the macaroni and vegetables and stir thoroughly

To serve sprinkle over some Parmesan cheese. This can also be served with garlic bread if you are not slimming or if you are, like me, why not serve with a delicious side salad!

This really is a meal that the whole family can, and will enjoy!


If you are following the Slimming World plan this is a great, low syn, meal which tastes so good! This dish only counts as 3 syns, 2 syns for the soft cheese and 1 syn per tablespoon of Parmesan for the top, which you can leave off if you want to keep the syns even lower!

Enjoy x


CookBlogShare

2 comments:

  1. This looks tasty. I wouldn't mind eating this instead of eating my meals with meat. I might give it a try. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great - and it's nice to have a healthy version up your sleeve x #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x