Thursday 18 December 2014

Winter Spiced Cupcakes

I am over the moon to be writing this post! Recently I have lost my baking mojo but it is coming back and I have had a successful gluten free bake!

I have always read about how gluten free baking is notoriously difficult so I was dreading baking without gluten. However since I started my diet I haven't baked, which I will admit I have missed, so has my hubby! I gave in and agreed to give gluten free baking a go.

My first attempt was not a success. I had read that avocado could be used as a dairy substitute in free from baking. I also did not have any xanthan gum to bind the cake so I used meringues as a substitute. The cake did not turn out well. It reduced a quarter in size when removed from the oven and was so stodgy. However this disaster did not put me off. In fact it made me more determined to succeed.

The recipe which I am sharing with you today is my second attempt. I am feeling especially proud of it as I now know that I can bake gluten free cakes by simply swapping flours and adding xanthan gum.

In this recipe I am writing the ingredients for both gluten and dairy free as well as regular cakes!

This is what I did...


Winter Spiced Cupcakes

Ingredients - Makes 16 cakes

150g baking spread or vegetarian spread
150g caster sugar
3 eggs
175g gluten free or regular self raising flour
1/8 tsp xanthan gum (for gluten free)
1tsp mixed spice
1 teapigs Winter Spice teabags
1tbsp clear honey

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Soften the spread

2 - Mix in the caster sugar until light and creamy

3 - Gradually add an egg at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

4 - Add the remaining flour, xanthan gum if using, the contents of one Winter Spice teabag, the mixed spice and honey

5 - Mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

6 - Divide the mixture between the cake cases and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15 minutes

7 - Once thoroughly baked remove from the oven and leave to cool on a baking tray

8 - When the cakes have completely cooled dust over some icing sugar and decorate as you wish


The teapigs Winter Spiced Red Tea really does add the finishing touch to the Christmas flavours. It works so well in these moist little festive bakes.



Enjoy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x